Ken's Gift List

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Based on the analogies Ken has been using w/ the most recent softball tips, we now know what he wants for Xmas:

1. Dogs
2. Home-made cookies

Next tip will be about running the bases w/ acceleration analogies involving a Pinto, Hummer, and Porsche.

Seriously though, Ken's hit it on the head - not all kids learn or react to the same instructional approach or cues. A good coach recognizes this and keeps trying different ways to get through until the message is received. Finding a relevant subject is the key. The car analogy above probably would work better with boys than girls due to subject interest and familiarity. Similarly, if you're using a music analogy to help w/ timing or tempo, a reference to Biance or Jay Z are more likely to be effective than Sinatra or the Beatles!

Keep up the good work Ken and let us know what else is on your wish list!

GM:D

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
LOL! You're half right, Greenmonsters. I'll definitely take all the cookies I can get. I shouldn't, but I will. As for dogs, I have all I need there. Especially with my daughter moving back with her rambunctious Siberian Huskie.

Thanks for the kudos. You are right -- it's all about finding a way to explain things in a way the student/player can understand. Also about keeping it interesting for them. The more they can relate, the better chance they have of understanding and executing whatever I want them to do.

Just so you guys know, I will also get more technical when needed. But that's not nearly as much fun for me to write about. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish