Just need a moment to vent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I was incredibly disappointed by the behavior that my daughter and her teammates were subjected to during their first game this yesterday. After three scoreless innings, a parent from the other team parked himself behind the backstop, which did not have a backstop screen. He proceeded to question the umpire's calls and intimidate the pitcher, my daughter- a 14-year old EIGHTH GRADER, with his behavior. I was under the impression the ASA rules prohibits spectators from such behavior, and even if it did not, the behavior of this parent was certainly unsportsman-like and completely inappropriate. What was more disturbing, is that the umpire did nothing to prevent his behavior- which was unnerving to my daughter and affected her performance. She also perceived that this parent's presence and the vocal, unruly behavior of the other team's parents unduly influenced the umpires calls, narrowing his strike zone as the game progressed.

To add insult to injury, she informed me that after she hit a ball to the outfield and slid safely to third, the 3B player from the opposing team shoved her foot off the bag and applied a tag. The umpire missed this action by the opposing player, and called my daughter out specifically for having her foot off the bag. This call made a difference in the outcome of the game. I don't blame the umpire for missing this call- but tell you this simply to give you an idea as to the general behavior of this team.

My DD has lost MANY games before, but I have never seen her like she was yesterday. She was so visibly upset she was shaking. Angry at the call at 3B, angry about the umpire, and worst of all, disappointed in herself that she let all of this get to her and affect her performance. I wish I had done something- if only to stand in front of this jerk behind the backstop- but I didn't and I am upset with myself for not defending my child.

I was incredibly disappointed by the behavior that my daughter and her teammates were subjected to during their first game this yesterday. After three scoreless innings, a parent from the other team parked himself behind the backstop, which did not have a backstop screen. He proceeded to question the umpire's calls and intimidate the pitcher, my daughter- a 14-year old EIGHTH GRADER, with his behavior. I was under the impression the ASA rules prohibits spectators from such behavior, and even if it did not, the behavior of this parent was certainly unsportsman-like and completely inappropriate. What was more disturbing, is that the umpire did nothing to prevent his behavior- which was unnerving to my daughter and affected her performance. She also perceived that this parent's presence and the vocal, unruly behavior of the other team's parents unduly influenced the umpires calls, narrowing his strike zone as the game progressed.

To add insult to injury, she informed me that after she hit a ball to the outfield and slid safely to third, the 3B player from the opposing team shoved her foot off the bag and applied a tag. The umpire missed this action by the opposing player, and called my daughter out specifically for having her foot off the bag. This call made a difference in the outcome of the game. I don't blame the umpire for missing this call- but tell you this simply to give you an idea as to the general behavior of this team.

My DD has lost MANY games before, but I have never seen her like she was yesterday. She was so visibly upset she was shaking. Angry at the call at 3B, angry about the umpire, and worst of all, disappointed in herself that she let all of this get to her and affect her performance. I wish I had done something- if only to stand in front of this jerk behind the backstop- but I didn't and I am upset with myself for not defending my child.

Well venting helps us all sometimes and we are here to listen.....but like you mentioned at the very end the biggest thing DD has to take away is she can't let things like this effect her performance on the field, umpires are going to blow call and their will always be jerks in the stands. As far as your actions because of several incidents from my past before I "matured" I almost never confront umpires (if I'm coaching) or parents (if I'm in the stands) unless I know I can control myself, if there is any doubt I simply keep my mouth shut or walk away, 99% of the time it is not worth it. As an umpire (only three years) I can only think of one time I actually turned around to someone in the stands looked at them and said "that is enough, unless you would like to watch the game from the parking lot" you just have to have thick skin.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We had this at a Woman's Tournament this weekend. I couldn't believe it. This guy's daughter will be a junior in college this coming year. We all had a good laugh at him. It actually can be funny when you watch this behavior although I do understand that your dd is 14 and so... At one point, I commented to this guy that I'm glad I'm not that insecure about my dd's abilities. He said that we all knew him and that he isn't going to change. I wonder if that is why his dd's playing time in college had diminished so much.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We had a big problem in an 8U Tourney a couple years ago, long story. The tourney director was mad.

Turns to me and says: “I wish everyone would remember this is just a bunch on 8 YOAs playing a game”.

I still remember this just change the age.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD had the same type of guy behind the screen a few years ago, in Payson AZ. He was berating his DD, when she pitched. I seemed to be the only spectator, that thought is was unusual.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD had the same type of guy behind the screen a few years ago, in Payson AZ. He was berating his DD, when she pitched. I seemed to be the only spectator, that thought is was unusual.
I coached a boy (catcher) whose dad heckled him during the game. yelled sarcastically at him for every little thing he did wrong (well what his dad perceived to be wrong anyway) I had a chat with him when he started in on the other boys on the team. He didn't speak to me for over 4 years after that. It was kinda nice actually.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
... parent from the other team parked himself behind the backstop, which did not have a backstop screen.

Am I reading this correctly? There wasn't a backstop?

Everything else in the post I've seen before (unfortunate or not) but I've never watched a game without a backstop. That has to make for some interesting wild pitches/passed balls.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego

What I have always been told by my UIC (I believe there is also a blurb in the rule book) is that the team manager is the person to be held responsible if fan conduct or actions gets out of hand. What the PU could have done is call the manager out to the plate with the lineup card in his/her hand (to make it look like a lineup question) and politely inform the manager that if his jackass fan didn't knock off the verbal abuse of children it was the manager that was going to get a one-way ticket to the parking lot.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Just to clarify- there was a backstop, but every tournament we have been at thus far, (at least most of them) have screens/tarps hanging behind the plate so that if someone stands back there they can't be seen. At fields where there hasn't been a screen on the backstop, the PU informs fans that they are unable to stand in that location as they can be a distraction. In this case, the PU said something, but the guy just ignored him and did not move- Thank you all for your feedback, and I have seen other posts detailing bad calls and bad behavior by fans. I guess I should consider myself fortunate that this is the first time I have encountered this, and DD has been in TB for three years. I suppose that she should be flattered that they felt they needed to resort to that behavior so that they could get some runs across.

Vent

What I have always been told by my UIC (I believe there is also a blurb in the rule book) is that the team manager is the person to be held responsible if fan conduct or actions gets out of hand. What the PU could have done is call the manager out to the plate with the lineup card in his/her hand (to make it look like a lineup question) and politely inform the manager that if his jackass fan didn't knock off the verbal abuse of children it was the manager that was going to get a one-way ticket to the parking lot.

It is the Umpires job to keep this from not happening.If it was a turn. then there should be a tourn. director.It brings back so many bad experiences from little league.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG