Jugs Jr speed controller

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Titans, I'm not arguing the point. Your setup is awesome for what you're using it for. Just pointing out that not all generators are loud and stinky.

The Honda was about $1000 and would not be an economical choice for a softball team...but I use it for far more than that. During the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, that little genny ran my refrigerator, computers, TVs, and kept everything charged for more than a week.

Jul 24, 2013
is there any chance you can show me or tell me how you hooked speed controler up. I have the same problem and would rather go this way than buy it from jugs.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2014
photo (1).jpgphoto (3).jpgI am in the process of trying to breath life into a jugs jr a friend of mine gave me.

Unfortunatly, when their daughter quit playing they dropped the nets and duped the machine on the top of the pile. It sat that way for several years and now I have it..

I disassembled and cleaned everything I could and with some luck was able to use it for one Saturday afternoon, but then it stopped working.

I have been focused on the motor and have not been able to figure anything out. I finally found someone that works on motors to take a look. They have determined the motor is working and it is the board. I saw your post about trying to troubleshoot a board and thought I would ask for some help.

The board has two obviously burnt resistors that I am going to attempt to replace, but si nec they are burnt I am having trouble identifying the colors to know what to put in. One comment that was made by the motor guy was that the neutral was carrying voltage and I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated (I have a freshman, a 7th grader, and a 4th grader that have all started playing)

(I added a before and an after picture, and it is a Jugs Jr)

Thanks
joe

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
View attachment 5382View attachment 5383I am in the process of trying to breath life into a jugs jr a friend of mine gave me.

Unfortunatly, when their daughter quit playing they dropped the nets and duped the machine on the top of the pile. It sat that way for several years and now I have it..

I disassembled and cleaned everything I could and with some luck was able to use it for one Saturday afternoon, but then it stopped working.

I have been focused on the motor and have not been able to figure anything out. I finally found someone that works on motors to take a look. They have determined the motor is working and it is the board. I saw your post about trying to troubleshoot a board and thought I would ask for some help.

The board has two obviously burnt resistors that I am going to attempt to replace, but si nec they are burnt I am having trouble identifying the colors to know what to put in. One comment that was made by the motor guy was that the neutral was carrying voltage and I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated (I have a freshman, a 7th grader, and a 4th grader that have all started playing)

(I added a before and an after picture, and it is a Jugs Jr)

Thanks
joe

My guess is that the transistor at the bottom of the after photo is actually shorted so the resistors drew too much current. Did it die mid operation or did it work fine and then the next time you tried it you found it was fired? Without a schematic, it is difficult to troubleshoot. The first thing I would do i talk to their support dept and find out how much a new speed controller board is. here is the link

JUGS Sports | Parts & Service

When talking to them you can probably request a schematic or wiring diagram and this will help. You can also ask them what the resistor value is for those particular components. Resistors are usually designated on the silkscreen by Rxx where XX is a number. I do not see this in the picture but it may be on the back of the board.

If the board is too expensive to replace then the next step would be to try to see where the traces from the burnt resistors lead and look at the components those traces lead to. I am guessing they lead to that transistor, most likely each resistor leads to a different leg. Then you remove the transistor and do some diode testing on the various legs to see if it is operating properly (we can get into this in detail if you get to this point). Then you replace the transistor and/or resistors and do some testing. Good luck.

PS- I do not recommend just replacing the resistors and firing it up. Resistor failure rates are orders of magnitude lower than any solid state device. IN fact, I have never seen a straight resistor failure that was not a secondary failure due to some other root cause.

Mar 14, 2014
Thanks for the info. I did talk to their support a while back and I think it was $225 for the board.

I did decide to replace the resistor and fired it up and yup the new resistor start smoking so I pulled the plug on it (I assume I need to replace it again if I can find the root cause)

I will call them in the morning and see if they will give me the schematic so I can try and figure out what is going on.

I did order the after market AC/DC board that was talked about earlier in this thread and have been playing with it this evening. The good news is that the motor is running, now I just have to figure the adjustments on the board (Min, Max, IR, & CL I think)

Thanks again for the help and input...my girls are really hoping I get this going!

Jul 24, 2013
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg I also bought the different controller. it works great. I removed the fuse and on-off switch. I just turn down the speed control before i plug or unplug it. the new one bolted right in. I ended up getting a new wheel and some stickers from Juggs. with the power supply i got from amazon and battery from work I'm in it under 400.00 dollars. I figure i can still get my money out of it. when i sell it in a few years.

Jun 17, 2014
Jugs jr pitching machine

Titans - Hi read you post regarding the circuit board for the Jugsjr pitching machine, my machine is in need a new board and don't want to shell out the $300 plus dollars for it. I would like to do what you did using the Darts Control, model 125D, but I'm not sure its a task I can handle, perhaps you could walk me thru the steps, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help/advice

May 8, 2015
Thanks to this website, I bought a Dart Controls circuit board, and my machine runs better than it ever had. Attached are some pictures. Very easy to wire, although you have to space it out 3/4" like stated in an earlier post. I had about $100 total and 5 hours into it. (Machining the phenolic spacer) Recovers after each ball faster than our stock Jugs JR in the local league.

20150512_013017217_iOS.jpg20150512_212515233_iOS.jpg20150512_212556871_iOS.jpg20150512_212613150_iOS.jpg20150515_013052607_iOS.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles