Jugs Jr speed controller

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 28, 2013
I need help! I've got an older style Jugs Jr pitching machine. The speed controller isn't working. I'd like to attempt to repair it prior to shelling out 285 dollars for a new one. I want to know if anyone can take pictures of the circuit board? It's very easy to access. On my circuit, it appears that there is a missing resistor/component. Any help is appreciated! If I can't fix it, I'm going to install an aftermarket controller.

Jun 18, 2010
null_zps71f82683.jpg

null_zps73d9e6ac.jpg

Jun 22, 2008
Dont know if it would work for you, but I have built speed controls before for die grinders, bead rollers etc just using a wall light dimmer. I used a metal duplex gang box, a light dimmer with rotary dial, a standard wall outlet and a length of extension cord. Wire the extension cord into the dimmer switch, wire the dimmer into the outlet, mount it all in the gang box and then plug what ever you want to control the speed on into the outlet on the box and used the dimmer to set the speed.

Aug 28, 2013
Good idea, but this circuit needs to be much more complex. The DC motor is powered by AC voltage. The AC has to be rectified by using a series of diodes. The motor wouldn't work by just using regular outlet power. I really wish it were that simple.

Jun 22, 2008
Good idea, but this circuit needs to be much more complex. The DC motor is powered by AC voltage. The AC has to be rectified by using a series of diodes. The motor wouldn't work by just using regular outlet power. I really wish it were that simple.

You would just need a bridge rectifier to convert the AC into DC.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
many times with circuit boards, different models all use the same board and they just change the configuration via jumpers/components. If there is a missing component with no evidence of it being removed (flux marks/burn marks from a soldering iron) then it is probably not supposed to be there. For a simply rectifier like this you should be able to troubleshoot it pretty easily though. The four diodes in the middle of the board in the pic are the raw rectifier and the CAP in the middle is just a low tech voltage regulator. This conditions the voltage to be fed into a DC power supply, these are most likely the big black square devices with the heat sink on them. Two of the legs on these devices will have the DC output voltage. If you put Multi Meter on these you should be able to tell if the proper regulated voltage is being supplied. If you decide to troubleshoot it you can PM me and we could probably figure it out pretty easily. I used to be an Electrical Engineer and used to have to troubleshoot this sort of stuff all the time, it would be fun to test my chops to see if they are still there. I noticed the fuse, I assume you have already verified it is not blown.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28