Jugs complete practice travel screen a great addition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've been a big fan of products from Jugs Sports for several years. I own a Jugs pitching machine, a radar gun, a quick-snap protective screen and two of their original pop-up screens. I've used the screens for drills in practice, and for soft-toss before games.
Jugsscreen.jpg

Most of the time they work well. But as you know if you've ever tried using them in breezy conditions there is a bit of a challenge in keeping them upright.

That's why I was excited to get a chance to check out the new Jugs Complete Practice Travel Screen. It's a large (7'), durable, square screen with a base that keeps it upright both in the wind and hit after hit.

The Jugs Complete Practice Travel Screen is easy to put together once you've done it once. (I may lose my guy card for this, but I did have to look at the directions once to figure out how to attach the screen to the frame.)

The pieces of the base are bungied together, and only two require working with the quick-snap locking device. The sides and top of the frame are also bungied together, and slip together easily. The net is also easy to put in place, and stretches tight against the frame. One person can put it together in about five minutes; it's even easier with two.

Despite its light weight it seems to be very durable. My team, the IOMT Castaways, has been using it all season at practice and games and it still looks brand-new. We not only use it for soft toss, but also as a temporary backstop for front toss to our hitters. The netting is thick and strong, and the vinyl appears to be very strong as well.

Taking it apart is even easier. Because all the pieces except two just slip together you can pull them apart and put them back into the carrying bag quickly.

The 7' height is nice because it cuts down on those errant balls hit when your hitters drop their back shoulders and take a big upper cut swing.

The Jugs Complete Practice Travel Screen retails for $149. It's well worth the money. If you're looking for a screen that sets up easily and can handle a heavy load, give this one a look.

More...

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Looks pretty good, I keep getting out-wrestled trying to pack up our old pop-up Jugs net. How does it stand up - staked or feet i.e., can it be used inside?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It has feet that come out front and back, i.e. 90 degrees from the net. That gives it better stability in the wind than the pop-up screen. Not saying it hasn't blown over a couple of times with a big gust, but it isn't the issue you often get with the pop-up screen. The feet have rubber caps on the ends so you can definitely use it indoors.

By the way, it also fits in the trunk a lot easier!

I have one of these and the Bownet and to be honest with you I am partial to the Jugs Net. I love them both, but the Jugs net to me seems a little bit more well made and just as easy to put together. But I do like each of these nets for different reasons and situations.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
An interesting comparison. I don't have the Bownet, but I've seen plenty. I do like the way the Jugs net sets up easily - and comes down quickly too.

Feb 7, 2013
I have used both and much prefer the Bownet. One of the problems with the pop-up Jugs net, especially when using it with younger players, is that the batter is farther away from the net because of the "square foot" in front of the net and balls can and do get hit over the top of the net. With the Bownet, you don't have this problem because there isn't any material between the batter and the net so you can place the tee or do soft toss closer to the net. One other advantage is that you can use the Bownet as a pitching screen. The Jugs net is a little awkward to use for this drill. Both nets set up and breakdown easily and don't take up much room when stored.

Mar 19, 2014
I have used both and much prefer the Bownet. One of the problems with the pop-up Jugs net, especially when using it with younger players, is that the batter is farther away from the net because of the "square foot" in front of the net and balls can and do get hit over the top of the net. With the Bownet, you don't have this problem because there isn't any material between the batter and the net so you can place the tee or do soft toss closer to the net. One other advantage is that you can use the Bownet as a pitching screen. The Jugs net is a little awkward to use for this drill. Both nets set up and breakdown easily and don't take up much room when stored.

Are you talking about the blue jugs pop net or the newer better Jugs black complete practice travel screen?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez