Its High School Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
My hope is that once I get these pins put in on Thursday I get a different kind of splint/cast that makes it a bit easier to throw.
You, Sir, are a warrior.

Wish I was closer and gas was $2 cheaper. I can’t do much but I can front toss.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yep.

Our "pitching machine" is me, and I broke my hand 15 minutes before the first practice on Monday. I can get em there left handed, but it's not the same. I'm able to pitch Lite Flite balls (and we're mostly inside still anyway) with my right hand, but it's painful.

I've never had anybody else throw BP before. My hope is that once I get these pins put in on Thursday I get a different kind of splint/cast that makes it a bit easier to throw. Otherwise, I really have no idea how I'm going to get my girls the hitting practice they need during the early part of the season.
Ouch! Hope it heals quickly!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Ouch Coach!! Your girls are lucky to have such a committed coach. I'm afraid I would have to turn the BP duties over to the kids if I were in your shoes. Hoping you heal quickly.
That's part of the plan, though my pitchers have a real hard time with the Lite Flites.

My DW/AC does ok, but she can't pitch with an arm circle.

Also, nobody should feel sorry for me. Pattar isn't the only one here with anger issues.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I am proud to say that DD has joined the coaching staff as assistant varsity coach of the biggest HS (former rival school) in our area (they sought her out to coach, she didn't apply). She and the varsity coach (former D1 volleyball player, D1 volleyball coach and former HS softball player) are young but seriously driven coaches. DD draws up all of the practice plans - tryouts were 2/26 - and they have had 2 a day practices since tryouts (with the exception of Sundays). DD had less memorable coaches in HS and is determined to be what they weren't - someone that cares about the team and isn't just there for the paycheck (she is a full time nurse at the local hospital and also has a part time job cleaning a couple of offices). Excited to see her on the sidelines for their first game next week.

Jan 31, 2011
In Iowa, our season starts May 2nd. Most competitive programs offer winter open gym times where we rely on volunteers to run the indoor practices. State rules don't allow coaches to work with kids in the off-season (minor exceptions). We are very fortunate to have use of a great facility donated by a local company and outfitted by a local travel ball organization. Very small schools, like ours, struggle getting resources so I am thankful. Another challenge is getting the varsity level kids together for meaningful practices while other sports are in season. As a school coach I encourage kids to play other sports, but it definitely makes it hard for kids to focus on softball in Jan/Feb.

Once season starts, I have only 2 assistant coaches for the HS program (Includes both JV and Varsity. One coach is an unpaid volunteer). We can play up to 40 games from May 23 to Jul 1 (about 6 weeks). Our conference doesn't play double headers so once games begin, we play practically every night plus Saturday tournaments. I give the kids Sundays off because it can be a grind. They need a day to rest.

We get 3 weeks of practices (and scrimmage opportunity) prior to our first game. I'm not a teacher, I have a day job. We hold JV practices 3:30 to 5:30 and the varsity 5:30-7:30. I separate JV and Varsity practices. Some kids do double duty so they normally hit both practices. I am very fortunate both assistant coaches offer to run JV and V practices. They can be there up to 4 hours a day.

Typical practice plan separates infield/outfielders into two groups after stretching and group throwing drills. When we split, one group works on defensive drills while the other group hits. We run 2 batting cages with a Jugs and a Hack Attack Jr machines. We also have 3 tee stations, bunting with a Lite Flite, and a coach throws TCB balls. Tee work includes hit to contact, inside/outside, flamingo drill, etc. We try to introduce something new too.

The infield kids usually do defensive drills first. This include ball everyday drills, then a coach rolls grounders. Next I like to have two lines of ground balls and then full on infield where a coach hits. (all this is dependent on 3 coaches being available). We like to mix in fun drills like shooting line drives with a spare jugs machine, work on run-downs, throw 4 corners, turn two, catcher pick offs, etc. I recently picked up a used gymnastics mat so we're going to do diving drills this year too. (We've used it indoors this winter and it adds a lot of fun). When we switch, infielders go hit and outfielders work on drop step drills, fielding fly balls, line drives, crow hop drills, do or die fielding, throw to a cut, throw home, etc. One of my favorite drills is to line outfielders up in right center and left center and hit between them. It forces communication and moving to the ball. Outfielders will use the mat for diving drills too.

I cut pitchers and catchers short so they can pitch. Its usually just 2 pitchers so we can work it in. I built a pitching lane behind our cages last summer so they have a nice place to throw.

Finally, we bring everyone together to work on situations. We have base runners and try to cover many situations and explain what we are after. As you can see there is a lot going on and only 3 coaches. We rely on the kids to keep moving and keep the chit chat to a minimum. Kids work in pairs while hitting and we rotate stations like every 10 minutes. I let them play music on the PA system as long as we're productive. I think my kids get a pretty good workout.

High School softball is a different animal than travel ball. We get what we get. Kids have varying degree of skill, experience, and dedication. Practices are limited to refining what you can and moving on. No one has time for a lot of one-on-one instruction. If I spend 30 minutes of practice time working with one kids on hitting, then the rest of the team suffers. We just can't do that. However, what I can do is encourage younger kids in my district to play travel ball. My wife and I attend those kids' games in the spring and fall. I've built relationships with the 10U/12U kids and their parents. I know them by name and they know me. We support them and I think the kids are happy seeing us in the stands. We also invite those kids to come to the high school open gyms to get them drinking the Kool-Aid early! We're a high school of about 200 kids total, so I need to make softball a desired sport if we are to remain competitive. Finally, please don't talk about pay. Most people in the game do it because they love it.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Here’s our layout on hitting days. This is my 4th high school I’ve coached 10th year here. Taken this long to get it how I like it.

Attachments

• 117C51C0-5BBD-4C2E-A7A4-53A22C04C8F5.png
    117C51C0-5BBD-4C2E-A7A4-53A22C04C8F5.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 55
  • F40C6C9F-1A7B-4108-B114-B535F6376CE9.png
    F40C6C9F-1A7B-4108-B114-B535F6376CE9.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 9BFAB2EE-1DEC-496E-8120-816E87688FEF.png
    9BFAB2EE-1DEC-496E-8120-816E87688FEF.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 53
  • F3340641-C413-45DD-9340-25ECB603082A.png
    F3340641-C413-45DD-9340-25ECB603082A.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 53
  • C295BB99-BC5D-40B7-93F6-B384FC66308C.png
    C295BB99-BC5D-40B7-93F6-B384FC66308C.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 54
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Can my DD go to your school?
Nice complement thank you. I have a great staff of coaches that make thing go. We really respect our players and understand it takes a village to raise an athlete. We want to get it right as to getting the best out of our them by creating an environment that coincides with the players goals. A conflicted player rarely at their best. They own their swing or pitching mechanics. I bite my tongue and work on the non mechanics side of the swing, timing and mental focus. I have some , like Haley that I coach one on one with the goal of playing Division 1 and that’s where my passion and heart is but those players are few and far in between . I just manage and make the line up …. And discuss strategy with all the parents in the stands.

FYI as we closeout Hale’s senior year, I’m preparing for my GD that’s 12years old.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
My DD is blessed with a very hardcore SB program at a private catholic HS and the school is all in on making it better. Head coach is former D1 catcher with very close ties to a powerhouse so cal travel org. AC #1 is a University of Arizona Hall of Fame player, AC#2 is a Long Beach State HoF head coach.

Facilities are amazing, dirt IF / turf OF, batting cages, etc.

Haha, DD often wishes HS softball was "funner".. I guess the grass is always greener

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
My DD is blessed with a very hardcore SB program at a private catholic HS and the school is all in on making it better. Head coach is former D1 catcher with very close ties to a powerhouse so cal travel org. AC #1 is a University of Arizona Hall of Fame player, AC#2 is a Long Beach State HoF head coach.

Facilities are amazing, dirt IF / turf OF, batting cages, etc.

Haha, DD often wishes HS softball was "funner".. I guess the grass is always greener
Lots of great programs out there, it’s just wonderful to see the sport and the athletes growing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00