Is it reasonable for 10u catcher to catch all games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
My dd is the starting catcher on her tb team. There is 1 other catcher, but she honestly can't block a thing. My dd is also the strongest 3rd base and a damn good ss, but her new coach (old coach moved) is trying to pigeon hole her into catching mostly. We had to leave her last team because her old coach did the same, and she was overworked and stressed out. Mostly because the pitchers aren't developed and it was extremely difficult to block wild pitches and keep runners from stealing, which te coach saw as her fault always and hollered at her the whole time she was out there. I don't want that to happen to her again, but I see it happening already. When we left that team she barely wanted to play let alone catch. The other coach built up her confidence again and got her to like catching again.

Her practice consists of shagging balls during drills and catching up pitchers. Which I hate to say are also very green and can barely throw a strike. As a parent I would like to see her play all 3 positions because she is honestly the best on this team at all of them, but 2 of the coaches daughters play 3rd, and I know that he promised ss's dad that she had that position if she joined. I just don't think my kid should catch all the time. It's hard work and it's hot! They would never over work a pitcher like that so why a catcher?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My dd pretty much catches about 90% of pitches, but she is my dd. As soon as she says she needs a break or play a different spot she gets it. She never complains, but honestly if I weren't her coach, I would be concerned that she is over worked. Now practices...she rarely catches our pitchers in practice. I have coaches and parents do that, at pitcher catcher practices yes, team practice no. Team practice she usually works at 3rd and outfield, skills I think every kid should know.

Have you voiced your concerns to the coach. A 10u coach should be pretty responsive and at the least compromise.

And you are darn right, there isnt a mlb catcher out there that has to work half as hard as our 10-12 yr old girls do. Plus a lot of them take the blame for every wild pitch that goes by...not fair.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
When DD was 10U and the coach told her to suit up for game three I walked to the dugout and told them to get another girl. No 10 year old is going to catch 3 games on Saturday in 95 degree temps. They said yes your right and got another kid to suit up. DD is 14U now and never catches back to back or 3 games in a day. Not good for their arms either.

Put your foot down and make them develop the other catcher or get two just in case.

Jul 28, 2008
IP brings up a good point. Their arms. They are throwing a lot of overhand throws back to the pitcher by catching so much. I know catchers that have had their arms hurt in school ball by throwing so much.

10U is a time to develop players. Tell the coach to start developing other catchers. It will only work to the team's benefit in the long run.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My dd is the starting catcher on her tb team. There is 1 other catcher, but she honestly can't block a thing. My dd is also the strongest 3rd base and a damn good ss, but her new coach (old coach moved) is trying to pigeon hole her into catching mostly. ... As a parent I would like to see her play all 3 positions because she is honestly the best on this team at all of them, but 2 of the coaches daughters play 3rd, and I know that he promised ss's dad that she had that position if she joined.

I agree w/ your concern about your daughter catching all the time. The replies you've received are on the mark, imo. ...

However, I'll note that you are making two complaints - One is that the coach is overworking your daughter. The other is that he's playing favorites with the assistants' daughters and making promising to the parent of the SS.

IMO, these are separate issues. The reason the coach is overworking your daughter is probably because he believes that's his best lineup and fails to see the harm in her workload. That's more about poor judgment than integrity.

I don't think we can conclude from what you said that this has anything to do with who is playing 3B or SS. Not doubting you, but can't say.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was on 2 Teams this year and towards the end of the season for both Teams she was paired with a C. I am not sure why but it seemed to work out OK for the C and DD.

DD pitched they caught, DD didn’t pitch they played another position too.

Apr 9, 2012
Passed balls at the young age can frustrate the best pitchers. Theirs a level of confidence that is maintained in the pitcher catcher relationship.

I had 1 catcher at 10B and before the season improved her conditioning in preparation of catching many games. During that time I sought out another catcher and worked to develop one in practice as well. The second catcher need not catch 50% but what little she catches she must be consistent.

I am fortunate thanks to the work to have 2 awesome catchers who feed off of each others success.

Dont have a single catcher at the young ages as they need a break in the peak of summer.

Apr 19, 2011
We live in the south, so it's always hot and humid. On her old team, my dd has caught as many as 7 games in a weekend. All of that work and pressure made her want to quit softball all together. She is very athletic and loves to play, and we love to watch her. So, it was heart breaking to see her at that point because her coach was only willing to do whats best for the team, without thinking about what he was doing to my dd. Even after we talked to him about it.

I agree w/ your concern about your daughter catching all the time. The replies you've received are on the mark, imo. ...

However, I'll note that you are making two complaints - One is that the coach is overworking your daughter. The other is that he's playing favorites with the assistants' daughters and making promising to the parent of the SS.

IMO, these are separate issues. The reason the coach is overworking your daughter is probably because he believes that's his best lineup and fails to see the harm in her workload. That's more about poor judgment than integrity.

I don't think we can conclude from what you said that this has anything to do with who is playing 3B or SS. Not doubting you, but can't say.

This last spring season, she was number 1, but she only caught like 2-3 games a weekend (had 4 catchers, 2 moved up), and played 3rd and ss. We were happy with this. My dd has also been experiencing heel pain(not excruciating, just uncomfortable)these last two seasons, and that coach was also thoughtful enough to play her in the position that least affected that. This hc was the ac on our last team, so he knows what was going on with her and how she was feeling, and he knows what my kid can do in every position she has plays. However, he made a lot of promises to the ac and the ss dad to get them to come on to the team (had players move up and not a lot come to tryouts), so he is trying to keep these parents happy because we live in a small town with a lot of tb teams and not a lot of talent. Anyway, these girls are good, but not very aggressive or consistent. For instance the two 3rd base (ac dd and hc dd) will literally jump out of the way of the ball (afraid)where my dd will dive to get it and make the play. The ac's dd only plays 3rd base and hc dd is a developing pitcher and a below average 3rd baseman, but her dad is hc.

I can see that they are trying to develop the other catcher, but this kid has been playing that position for 2 years and just isn't getting it and won't take direction, so I know they are depending on my dd to play all bracket games at least. I know this because they are only practicing my kid catching, unless my friend (helps out ac) asks them to work her in on the infield. I am not going to be happy to see my kid sit over a kid that is A LOT less talented than her because she works hard and deserves the play time in all positions. She never misses practice and even goes to two of the p's lessons, so she practices 5 days a week sometimes. I would be okay with her going to the outfield, but they aren't practicing her there (only pop fly practice, but no situational), so that would that would just be setting her up to fail I would think?

I just don't even know how to approach this. I feel like the hc is already irritated with us because we had a hard time deciding to commit for another season when the old hc left and he took over. But this is why.

I don't even know if I addressed any of your responses...I think I just reiterated my concerns again. Sorry lol

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I just don't even know how to approach this.

In short, I think it's fair to discuss your concerns about your daughter being overworked and how that affects her health and her enjoyment of the game. As a coach, I would want to know if a player was unhappy in that way. (If you think DD can express that to coach, better still.)

However, it's very rarely a good idea to go beyond that and express how you expect her to be used when not catching. That's the coach's call, right or wrong. The parents' call is in choosing the best team and coach for DD, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand