Is it legal to block 1st base without the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Been in this country long? Of course, you are going to be sued if someone gets injured, but more often by someone other than the player's family.

Yes, there is an inherent danger, but that does not absolve all parties from responsibility to play the game in accordance with the rules in a sportsmanlike manner. Nor does it absolve those coaching from not providing the appropriate training, nor umpires from failues to invoke specific rules based on safety.

Maybe you should know *** you are talking about before running at the mouth. That is the exact attitude that precipitates injuries and lawsuits.

Tell you what, you think it is the way to go, how about you straddle 3B, giving me the "clear path" to the edge and see how it feels when I dump you about 6-8 feet behind the bag because I want to run through instead of sliding. Please make sure your Medicare is up to date, I wouldn't want to risk being sued.

Actually , you would probably be called for malicious contact and ejected from the game.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Actually , you would probably be called for malicious contact and ejected from the game.

Actually, I would get tossed for unsportsmanlike conduct if the umpire believe I went into him with the purpose of injuring him. If I'm simply running the bases and make no extraneous agressive moves, I'm going to get the OBS call if the umpire knows his/her game.

But what most people do not realize is that if the injured party requires medical attention, the minute he lays down an insurance card or gives the hospital insurance information, it is possible I may get involved in an investigation if the insurance company attempts to recover their claim. This is why signing a waiver has little bearing.

Happens all the time. Every time I have a medical procedure on my knees or back, I get a questionaire which I must complete and return. And, trust me, you will complete and return it because the insurance companies are more relentless than second-rate collection agencies.

In my 45 years of umpiring baseball and softball, I've seen far too many ambulances roll on a ballfield to take away a player because of stupid play. The reasons there are safety-based rules are because there were, and still are to some level, too many people who believe winning is everything and hurting the opponent is just part of the game. Way too much old school baseball mentality is what caused these rules to be enacted.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi