Is Hands/Knob to the ball Dead?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2012
Let me ask you a question.

Do you think all "good" MLB hitters swing the same?

Most good MLB hitters swing in the one high-level pattern. However, there are a handful (Adam Jones, Stanton, Hunter Pence) who are athletic enough to overcome their mechanical limitations.

May 16, 2010
Is this tangential acceleration?
220px-Oscillating_pendulum.gif

Yes. Here's another diagram of it. Objects in motion, want to go in a straight line. The barrel wants to go in a straight line, but when you move the handle so that it changes direction, it forces the barrel to change direction. You apply constant centripetal force through the arms which causes the barrel to arc. The barrel accelerates (the tangential velocity increases) as long as the knob is changing direction. When the knob straightens, there is still tangential velocity in the barrel, but the acceleration ceases.

tang1.gif

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
To me I notice the hand path more of an arc on inside pitches, and less so middle, out from the body, for outside.

Hyp likes to talk about the lineal hand path, where is he?

I think That Jbooth is correct, on better force with the arced hand path, which would be why pulling the ball supplies more power.

and yes, lots of hitters hit great shots OPPO, because there is so much more to the swing, than hand path.

May 16, 2010
To me I notice the hand path more of an arc on inside pitches, and less so middle, out from the body, for outside.

Hyp likes to talk about the lineal hand path, where is he?

I think That Jbooth is correct, on better force with the arced hand path, which would be why pulling the ball supplies more power.

and yes, lots of hitters hit great shots OPPO, because there is so much more to the swing, than hand path.

It doesn't have to be significantly circular, or even have much of an arc. When you start with the hands close to the shoulder and your shoulders angled toward the plate, regardless of the pitch location, you will get a change in direction of the hands as they go out toward the plate and then turn toward the ball.

Even on outside pitches the hands come back in a little bit, to get the barrel on the ball.

This change of direction requires centripetal force, and that force combined with change of direction at the handle, causes acceleration of the barrel. If your hands go straight that doesn't happen. Therefore, you can't get maximum potential acceleration of the barrel. Your wrists aren't strong enough to supply enough force with a snap alone, to get the acceleration you can get by the bat being connected to the body rotation.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2012
I call the knob a flashlight. During the linear phase and she starts to turn the barrel, at this point she will shine her flashlight on the ball. This doesn't mean she is literally taking her hands towards the ball, she is just using the flashlight to promote getting on plane quick and maintaining bat lag. Then the barrel gets released.

Thanks Coach.
Anyone ever use a Flashlight OR one of those LASER pointers taped to a bat shing down so that as the kid holds the bat they can be a teaching tool?

Yes, Kinda like what rdbass just posted.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors