Is Hands/Knob to the ball Dead?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
What Cowpoke is pointing out to you is that the coach that you claim to follow is himself following how MLB hitter’s swing, yet what you are teaching isn’t how MLB hitters swing.

Musgraves follows MLB hitters ..... JDBerry follows Musgraves ..... MLB hitters don’t do what JDBerry teaches.

Just seems like there is a bit of a disconnect somewhere.

No, what I am pointing out to you is that Musgraves studied MLB hitters and realized that MLB hitters were not all the same but there were a few things that were consistent among them. Hand path was not one of them. Some are rotational hitters. Some actually have a hand path straight to contact, etc. Now, of course, if you think all of the MLB hitters swing the same, then there's not much more worth discussing with you.

He, to my knowledge, does not instruct someone out of their natural swing just for the sake of fitting a mechanical cookie cutter. But I do know that he doesn't get his panties bunched over semantics and isn't worried about the words as much as the results. Give it a try.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
No, what I am pointing out to you is that Musgraves studied MLB hitters and realized that MLB hitters were not all the same but there were a few things that were consistent among them. Hand path was not one of them. Some are rotational hitters. Some actually have a hand path straight to contact, etc. Now, of course, if you think all of the MLB hitters swing the same, then there's not much more worth discussing with you.

He, to my knowledge, does not instruct someone out of their natural swing just for the sake of fitting a mechanical cookie cutter. But I do know that he doesn't get his panties bunched over semantics and isn't worried about the words as much as the results. Give it a try.

In an earlier discussion I posted videos in which a hitter was being instructed to capture transition of the barrel by shoving their hands forward. Your response was that this was exactly what you taught. The reality is that is not how MLB hitters capture barrel transition.

Please answer Noon's question.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
How would you answer the questions with regards to the Manny clip?

With his swing, it's the top hand. Depending upon the batter I might would say find the ball with the index knuckle.... but that would be a part of all of the rest of the swing.... so as no one is taking it out of context.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
In an earlier discussion I posted videos in which a hitter was being instructed to capture transition of the barrel by shoving their hands forward. Your response was that this was exactly what you taught. The reality is that is not how MLB hitters capture barrel transition.
I've never said anything like that, except where you, once again, attempted to put words in my mouth.

I've never said shove, push, pull, etc

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS

Please answer Noon's question.

Let me ask you a question.

Do you think all "good" MLB hitters swing the same?

May 16, 2010
Let me ask you a question.

Do you think all "good" MLB hitters swing the same?

They may not look alike, but they all implement the same physics and they all implement them with bio-mechanical movements that apply the physics.

They may have different STYLES, such as leg-kick, short stride, long stride, no stride. Hands high in the stance, low, forward, back, they may or may not waggle the bat around, they may have the elbows down or up, or one down and one up, but that is all style.

They all move nearly identical from what we call the universal launch point, to contact.

The universal launch point can also be described as what RVP calls toe-touch.

Below is the universal launch point, and they all look pretty much the same at contact. As shown by the other 9 pics.

arod_no_1.jpg

HankAaron5.jpg

mlb9.jpg

They all get from the ULP to contact pretty much the same also. They push with the back leg, brace the front leg, rotate the hips and shoulders and throw the barrel.

The feel that they describe may be of trying not to rotate the shoulders but they do. The feel of throwing the hands may be there, but they actually keep them back and throw the barrel. The hands DO go forward and they may feel like they threw the hands, but they did it as part of throwing the barrel.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2012
They may not look alike, but they all implement the same physics and they all implement them with bio-mechanical movements that apply the physics.

They may have different STYLES, such as leg-kick, short stride, long stride, no stride. Hands high in the stance, low, forward, back, they may or may not waggle the bat around, they may have the elbows down or up, or one down and one up, but that is all style.

They all move nearly identical from what we call the universal launch point, to contact.

The universal launch point can also be described as what RVP calls toe-touch.

Below is the universal launch point, and they all look pretty much the same at contact. As shown by the other 9 pics.
I thought I just read in a thread about the "Styles" can be different but the "Technique" is the same. I see what your saying.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
You are assuming Mann can hump it up there fast enough to matter.... could be this:
5vwy36.gif

I can pitch like that, Underhand.

at one time, I pitched high 80's, one time.:), normally 80's.

Pointing out the errors of ones ways, can be a delicate process, FiveFrame.

Success, seems to be the way to go. And time.

Mar 12, 2012
You're correct, because it defies the physics. When you pull or push the knob in a straight line, you are delaying the creation of tangential acceleration. In fact, you never get it until you snap the wrists, and then you only have your wimpy little wrists to create the tangential acceleration, rather than getting it going early, with force coming from the momentum of the entire body.

Tangential acceleration has started by the first frame here. From his body turning and moving the bat. The hands throw while the hands are back so more acceleration goes to the bat. Pulling the knob out front takes longer, slows the acceleration and reduces the amount of force available to accelerate it again.

ajknob.jpg

Is this tangential acceleration?
220px-Oscillating_pendulum.gif

willaimstop2.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1