Is Hands/Knob to the ball Dead?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Is this the one?:
ABCA Clinic Recaps - Rocke Musgraves - BaseballSoftballUK

Says this:
Coach Musgraves was incredibly passionate about hitting technique, how to coach it and how to coach approach. It was awesome to hear how, despite being very experienced, he invested time into evaluating what he had been coaching for years by taking a closer look at the swings of MLB hitters. He realised that some of what he had been coaching wasn’t in fact what the best hitters in baseball were doing and he was humble enough to change things.

I'm just trying to follow along.

JDBerry follows Coach Musgraves. Coach Musgraves wisely follows what MLB hitters do. JDBerry, who follows Coach Musgraves, who follows MLB hitters, acknowledges that MLBer's swings do not swing the way he advocates ... their swings are "not hands inside the ball. Not hands to the ball. "

Sounds like someone may have taken an incorrect turn somewhere.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
An inside pitch has a more Open, body than an outside pitch. The swing is Away from the body, on an outside pitch, and nothing turns, as much.

I really like this thread, and how you guys are keeping it civil.

I have a coach near me, that teaches hands to the ball, still, and he Still, teaches step open for inside, step towards the outside pitch, with the hand to the ball, hit the ball at full extension type swing.

I use the hand set that JD describes, for my slappers, when I want inside out, run the knob, right across their body.

And in some college clinics, around my parts, the first thing they teach, is to fire the knob, right across the body, first and foremost, then flick the wrists, resulting in contact against fast pitchers. resulting in putting the ball in play.
Weak hits, that work against soft defenses.

To me, its the wrong road to go down, and is like the magic tonic wagon coming through town, quick fix, but all smoke and mirrors.

You should ask this coach to demonstrate what he is teaching while in the batter's box. Pitch him inside & outside. Have him learn first hand the nonsense he is peddling. Unless he's "guessing" the pitch, and correct, he's going to feel awful foolish.

May 16, 2010
And in some college clinics, around my parts, the first thing they teach, is to fire the knob, right across the body, first and foremost, then flick the wrists, resulting in contact against fast pitchers. resulting in putting the ball in play.
Weak hits, that work against soft defenses.

To me, its the wrong road to go down, and is like the magic tonic wagon coming through town, quick fix, but all smoke and mirrors.

You're correct, because it defies the physics. When you pull or push the knob in a straight line, you are delaying the creation of tangential acceleration. In fact, you never get it until you snap the wrists, and then you only have your wimpy little wrists to create the tangential acceleration, rather than getting it going early, with force coming from the momentum of the entire body.

Tangential acceleration has started by the first frame here. From his body turning and moving the bat. The hands throw while the hands are back so more acceleration goes to the bat. Pulling the knob out front takes longer, slows the acceleration and reduces the amount of force available to accelerate it again.

ajknob.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
I'm just trying to follow along.

JDBerry follows Coach Musgraves. Coach Musgraves wisely follows what MLB hitters do. JDBerry, who follows Coach Musgraves, who follows MLB hitters, acknowledges that MLBer's swings do not swing the way he advocates ... their swings are "not hands inside the ball. Not hands to the ball. "

Sounds like someone may have taken an incorrect turn somewhere.
Pardon?

You took an incorrect turn. That's about it.

Aug 28, 2012
You should ask this coach to demonstrate what he is teaching while in the batter's box. Pitch him inside & outside. Have him learn first hand the nonsense he is peddling. Unless he's "guessing" the pitch, and correct, he's going to feel awful foolish.

You are assuming Mann can hump it up there fast enough to matter.... could be this:
5vwy36.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Pardon?

You took an incorrect turn. That's about it.

Your review of Manny's swings earlier in this thread .....

That is not hands inside the ball. Not hands to the ball.

A linear hand path has a slightly less open body at contact. The front arm is more bent as the knob/hands travel closer to the body in more of a line than an arc

IMO, neither is right nor wrong, just depends on the batter. I do know some college softball instructors want the tightest/most compact swing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
And?

Perhaps you should employ some reading comprehension and try again. Or at least try logic.

What Cowpoke is pointing out to you is that the coach that you claim to follow is himself following how MLB hitter’s swing, yet what you are teaching isn’t how MLB hitters swing.

Musgraves follows MLB hitters ..... JDBerry follows Musgraves ..... MLB hitters don’t do what JDBerry teaches.

Just seems like there is a bit of a disconnect somewhere.

Aug 28, 2012
That is not hands inside the ball. Not hands to the ball.

A linear hand path has a slightly less open body at contact. The front arm is more bent as the knob/hands travel closer to the body in more of a line than an arc

IMO, neither is right nor wrong, just depends on the batter. I do know some college softball instructors want the tightest/most compact swing.

How would you answer the questions with regards to the Manny clip?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors