Is Hands/Knob to the ball Dead?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
It's dead to those who are even semi-educated about the swing. However, talking about hand path is generally a waste of time.

I agree the only real reference I try to build into my girls swings regarding their hands is to keep them at or near the top of the zone when they swing. We are much more interested in barrell path.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The "hands" do not literally go to the ball ... neither does the knob ... hence an interpretation of what is meant is necessary. On the other hand, the barrel does go to the ball, and here the 'path' is often the signature of a 'good swing' versus 'not so good swing'.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Don't like hands to the ball. At least as it is often demonstrated off a tee - pushing those hands straight and way forward and then snapping the wrists to turn the barrel. At least that is the way I've seen most coaches demonstrate it.

It doesn't promote getting the barrel to the ball and it causes a lot of foul balls to opposite field. Most successful hitters I've met who talk hands to the ball DO NOT do what they demonstrate in a progression demonstration to kids. But if the kid buys into the demonstration they're messed up.

We've had (my daughters and the kids I coach) very good success with a more circular hand path and a focus on the barrel beginning to turn to the ball at swing initiation.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IME, girls tend to be more literal than boys when it comes to implementing instructions and/or cues. Regardless of what BB-raised men and boys believe it to mean, "Hands to the ball" usually does not achieve the desired effect with girls.

Aug 28, 2012
Manny_frontloop_xmo.gif

1) In the swing process, what is the "thing" that is mentally positioned to get to contact in these clips?

a- Is it in the barrel? i.e. - I need to get the barrel "here".
b- Is it in the knob? i.e. I need to get the knob "here".
c- Is it in the hands? i.e. I need to get the hands "here".
d- Is it in the arms? i.e. I need to get the arms "here".
e- Is it in the shoulders? i.e. I need to get the shoulders "here".
f- other?

2) Where/what is the spatial reference for "here"?

a- Is it the ground? i.e. I need to get the "thing" from above "here", where "here" is high/low relative to the ground?
b- Is it a part of the body? i.e. I need to get the "thing" from above "here", where "here" is high/low or close/far to the hip or chest (for examples).
c- Is it the ball? i.e. I need to get the "thing" from above "here", where "here" is relative to the perceived ball location.
d- other?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Nice post Noon ... good clip ... good questions. I'll go with 'a' and 'c'.

Looking at your clip ... and with the reference being the "barrel head" ... you can understand why many have a thought of "swing down".

Oct 25, 2009
I need to get the barrel to the ball. I must make adjustments with my hands, arms, etc., to make contact with the area of the ball I want to hit.

The contact point is learned through tee practice, front toss, etc.

Mar 12, 2012
Nice post Noon ... good clip ... good questions. I'll go with 'a' and 'c'.

Looking at your clip ... and with the reference being the "barrel head" ... you can understand why many have a thought of "swing down".

Yep, good point, and that is a good clip, HT to Noon.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I call the knob a flashlight. During the linear phase and she starts to turn the barrel, at this point she will shine her flashlight on the ball. This doesn't mean she is literally taking her hands towards the ball, she is just using the flashlight to promote getting on plane quick and maintaining bat lag. Then the barrel gets released.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors