internal rotation question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Ok..Im going to try to phrase my question as well as some of you do, and I know Im getting way way detaild but here goes. As your arm moved down the circle...palm up and your tricept touches your side. When reverse chaining its is said

" Move the forearm and upper arm away from the side of the body so the hand is 4 - 6 inches out form the thigh. Straight out from the thigh. Now externally totate the upper arm in the shoulder socket, so the elbow is facing inward and the forearm and palm are facing outward away from he body"

This move is ONLY to make it easier to externally rotate the ball facing outward to the "prep" position before moving up to 9:00.

Making sure the hand is away from the thigh when externally rotated places the hand slightly outside the shoulder socket, relieving stress on the shoulder socket. As you move the ball up to 9:00, you DO NOT want the hand/ball to travel "behind the back" inside the shoulder socket. It should remain slightly outside the socket, leaving room to deliver the ball without striking the hip with the elbow/forearm.........

During the delivery, the arm will straighten slightly, bringing the ball closer to the thigh through release.......

Here is a depiction of the drill from a full warm up clip. A picture is worth 1000 words. Because this is really extrapolated from a full warm-up, the hand and arm start closer (2-3 inches from the thigh) and slightly further back then the drill should, and isn't quite traveling to 9:00 like the drill should:

sffkp1.gif

Notice the externally rotated position at the start...........

Notice WHAT THE THUMB is doing on the move up to 9:00......Placing the hand under the ball and the thumb facing the sky........

Jul 14, 2008
If it helps you understand better, this is the position we are trying to avoid by starting with the hand/arm 4-6" away from the body, even with the thigh.......We DON'T want to get the ball behind the back in the drill.....

2e2eavb.gif

We want a clear path to the target line........

sffkp1.gif

May 7, 2009
Thats it...

EXACTLY what I was looking for. Cleared my mind. Thanks BoardMember to make it so clear. She can see it now.
Cant wait to get working on it. Good thing is my daughter pitched against a girl yesterday that had very sound mechanics and she could see the difference. How it looked effortless yet the ball seemed to explode off of her whip.

Just hope she can get it down in time for playoffs in 4 weeks.....

Thanks to many here who helped me get to this point of understanding...

May 7, 2009
Hipde do

OK...my dd has a problem that she is hitting her hip with the inside of her forearm. We believe this is bouncing off of her hip and we get a flying elbow
when we watch her tape. Closing her hips too soon we know could cause this. But she should actually close her hips slightly for this drill correct?
When her arm passes her hip should she be wide open until her arm comes through? It looks like her hips close slightly...arm comes through then close to 45. Am I getting that wrong? What else could cause the hip hittng / flying elbow. ?

May 12, 2008
Part of the clearing of the hips is the turn over of the whipping loop which Boardmember has done his usual great job of making clear with video.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish