interference??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dropped (scooped) 3rd strike, batter take 3 steps down the line bat in hand at which point her coaches screaming go sinks in she then turns tosses the bat back to the plate right to the catchers feet who steps on the bat as she throws. Is this interference?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If the batter turns and throw the bat in a manner that distracts the catch vs. just dropping the bat and running, I think the umpire could call her for interference.

Jun 22, 2008
Dropped (scooped) 3rd strike, batter take 3 steps down the line bat in hand at which point her coaches screaming go sinks in she then turns tosses the bat back to the plate right to the catchers feet who steps on the bat as she throws. Is this interference?

You state the catcher stepped on the bat, but no indication if it prevented her from completing the play. If the batter had just dropped the bat and it was laying on the field, no it would not be interference. But, there are rules that cover a thrown bat that creates interference. When you say the bat was tossed, did the batter just drop the bat and it ended up at the catchers feet or did the batter actually toss the bat in the catchers direction?

The batter/runner turned back toward home plate tossed it I'd say 3-4 feet landed at catchers feet (inch or 2 off home plate 1st base side) the catcher stepped on bat as she threw the ball which well... took a trip to visit the right fielder.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

It depends on whether the presence of the bat actually interfered with the catcher's ability to make the out. The umpire would have to judge that the throw was affected by the catcher stepping on the bat, and not that it was just a bad throw.

I would give the catcher the benefit of any doubt if it was questionable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG