Interference: is a deflected ball still considered a batted ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
In the case of a ball that is deflected and another fielder has an opportunity to make a play on the ball but the runner "interferes" with the 2nd opportunity to make a play is that interference or obstruction? In essence is a deflected ball still considered a live batted ball?

Sep 29, 2014
My guess is it is a live batted ball but I don't think interference applies once it is touched by the first fielder...I await the experts though

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Asa 8.1.5 states:

After passing a fielder and another fielder has the opportunity to make an out.

That covers djcater's question.

Going to leave OP question alone. ☺

Jun 22, 2008
It is going to depend on the rule set and who deflects the ball. In NFHS if the pitcher deflects the ball it is still considered to be an initial play on the ball by any other fielder and the runner must avoid interfering with the play. If any other player deflects the ball it is no longer an initial play on a batted ball. This particular rule about still being an initial play if the pitcher deflects the ball I have a little trouble with NFHS's ruling. If the pitcher deflects the ball and the runner could not avoid contact with the ball in NFHS they runner is not out, yet they do expect the runner to suddenly change course if the pitcher deflects it and it suddenly goes to a fielder in their path.

In ASA, once the ball is deflected the runner must do something intentionally to be called for interference. ASA does not expect the runner to suddenly change course because the pitcher or any other player deflected the ball.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
So in ASA if a ball is deflected and the runner runs into the 2nd fielder attempting to make a play on the ball that is not intereference but could be obstruction?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
The applicable rule (ASA) is 8-4-E(2) Runners are entitled to advance with liability to be put out...When a fair batted ball has been touched by a fielder, including the pitcher, and the runner did not intentionally interfere with the batted ball or the fielder attempting to field the batted ball. The ball remains live.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
If the second fielder attempting to make a play on the deflected ball impedes the runner is that Obstruction?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If the second fielder attempting to make a play on the deflected ball impedes the runner is that Obstruction?

Speaking ASA, I'm going to disagree with Comp and ASA, I guess. Nowhere in the rules does it require a fielder to cede a right to field a batted ball, deflected or not. The only thing the rule cited does is relieve the runner from being ruled out for INT should the runner not be able to avoid the fielder attempting to play the deflected batted ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00