Interference by Runner: Effect on Batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
TMIB, I will respectfully disagree.

Runner on 3B, 1 out. Foul fly ball towards third. Runner makes contact with the fielder causing her to alter her path to get to the ball. Fielder makes an ESPN web-gem diving catch. By your interpretation you have no interference and batter is out and runner staying on third with now 2 out. By my interpretation (and by rule per my argument), I have interference, 2 out, no runners on base and 0-1 count on the batter.

There was clearly interference that occurred, it needs to be called immediately and whether or not the catch is made has no bearing.
Why wouldn't the batter by on first?....if they hit a grounder to SS and she is interfered with by runner from 2B, the batter still gets 1st, why not on a pop up?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
The point I am trying to make is that interference is IMMEDIATE. It is not obstruction, you do not wait to see what happens. If there is no call, you do not go back afterwards.

I agree with this point, you make the call immediately and it is a dead ball. That being agreed to, how do you come to this:

Interference is the act of hindering, impeding, or preventing the defense from making a play (a blend of codes’ terminology). If the defense successfully made the play, they were not hindered, impeded, or prevented from making the play.

As soon as they hinder or impede you make your judgment, you do not wait to see if the defense then was able to complete the catch.

If the fielder has to slow down, alter her path or if she makes contact, you have interference. Whether she catches the ball or not makes no difference because it is no longer a live ball in flight, it is already a dead ball.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
TMIB,
I think I know what you are getting at: because in the OP, the umpire didn't rule immediately, you are presuming he judged no interference. In that case yes, batter out on the caught fly ball. However, how long was the delay before the umpire signaled an out? Did he just have slow timing? Did he have to make sure his mouth was actually working and he was going to say interference and not obstruction (soooo many umpires/coaches/players still get these two confused)? Did he decide he couldn't remember which was which, but knew the runner did something wrong and just called an out?

Regardless of what the ruling umpire did or didn't see/judge/do; from what was described, do we both have interference, runner is out, same batter leads off next inning?

May 29, 2015
I told you I’m being obstinate on this! :)

From the way I read the OP, yes, I have the same as you (interference, dead ball, don’t care what happens next, batter leads off the inning).

From the way the umpire in the OP called it, I have the batter out on a pop fly.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I don't think I could umpire, I don't have a law degree.;) I could see Perry Mason and Harry Berger arguing this one for an hour, taking up most of a 75 minute timed game.
This discussion is fascinating, parsing out the words, intentions, and applications; the words DO matter.

Jul 30, 2016
I don't think I could umpire, I don't have a law degree.;) I could see Perry Mason and Harry Berger arguing this one for an hour, taking up most of a 75 minute timed game.
This discussion is fascinating, parsing out the words, intentions, and applications; the words DO matter.
Agreed.

I come here to learn and this thread does not disappoint.

Per my OP, the umpire admitted that he saw the interference, but waited to see if 3B would catch the ball before deciding which out to call (on the interference or on the caught fly ball). I think we can conclude the umpire SHOULD have called immediate dead ball, runner out, same #7 batter leads off the next inning. The effect of the "wait and see" by the umpire however, left us with a batter out on the caught fly ball, #8 leads off.

Thank you to everyone.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Agreed.

I come here to learn and this thread does not disappoint.

Per my OP, the umpire admitted that he saw the interference, but waited to see if 3B would catch the ball before deciding which out to call (on the interference or on the caught fly ball). I think we can conclude the umpire SHOULD have called immediate dead ball, runner out, same #7 batter leads off the next inning. The effect of the "wait and see" by the umpire however, left us with a batter out on the caught fly ball, #8 leads off.

Thank you to everyone.

Respectfully, per my post #2, I don't think this is correct. Unless it was a foul ball that couldn't have been caught with routine effort, the batter is either ALSO out or awarded first.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
As I said earlier, I do not have the USA code in front of me. Can one of the others find the applicable rule?

But this is the NFHS rule:

NFHS ( I know OP was USA, but will wager rules are the same in this case)

8.6.10 The runner is out when:

The runner interferes:

b. with a fielder attempting to field a fly ball over foul territory.

PENALTY: The ball is dead and the runner is out. Each other runner must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference. When a runner is called out for interference, the batter-runner is awarded first base and credited with a fielder's choice. If this interference, in the judgment of the umpire, is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the runner is put out, the immediate succeeding runner shall also be called out. If interference occurs by the runner on a foul fly ball, the runner is out and the ball is dead. A foul ball is called in this situation and the batter remains at bat unless it was a bunt attempt with two strikes on the batter, the batter is out in this case.

So, in OP, under NFHS (and as I said, I suspect the wording is similar in all codes. someone, please confirm/deny). the runner should have been called out if the umpire had interference (interference is an immediate dead ball), and the same batter leads off the next inning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad