Insider Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
On the topic the elbow angle change ... this is largely a function of pitch location. Your video of Megan Bush is for an "inside pitch". The result for an "outside pitch" would be different. See example slo-mo video below.

MannyRamirez_SSMO.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 12, 2009
On the topic the elbow angle change ... this is largely a function of pitch location. Your video of Megan Bush is for an "inside pitch". The result for an "outside pitch" would be different. See example slo-mo video below.

MannyRamirez_SSMO.gif

Nobody has said otherwise, but this is obviously a complete different pitch and adjustment pattern than you see in the clip of the kid.

V_H_SD_BB_AndresTorres_CF_RH_D_ToLF_Rangers_001_C.gif

What the kid does more closely resembles what Andres is doing in this clip; throwing the hands at the ball.

P.S. Perhaps paradoxically for you, it wasn't until Andres stopped trying to throw his hands at the ball, and instead focused on maintaining the connection the Pujols demonstrates, that he started to hit well.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Nobody has said otherwise, but this is obviously a complete different pitch and adjustment pattern than you see in the clip of the kid.

V_H_SD_BB_AndresTorres_CF_RH_D_ToLF_Rangers_001_C.gif

What the kid does more closely resembles what Andres is doing in this clip; throwing the hands at the ball.

P.S. Perhaps paradoxically for you, it wasn't until Andres stopped trying to throw his hands at the ball, and instead focused on maintaining the connection the Pujols demonstrates, that he started to hit well.

My hat off to this kid. What he is doing reasonably approximates these two accomplished hitters.

2mn3cxh.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Seriously?

I'm unfamiliar with offspeed pitches in front toss.

Keep dancing.

Am I serious? Yes. IMO this kid is doing a decent job of initiating a swing with a tight HPP.

3343iit.gif

You can frown on the degree of his rear arm extension at contact, but you'll find this isn't terribly uncommon amongst the best hitters in the game.

2mn3cxh.jpg

Your issue at POC is, IMO, not a fault of this product ... but is more a function of pitch location.

Not sure if you are joking about being unfamiliar with off-speed pitches in front-toss ... but as part of the training I do with hitters, "head-on soft-toss" is standard.

May 27, 2010
I found a good deal on two of them and I really like them.

I have two of these Insider bats and have used them with my own kids (One is a 7 year old baseball player and one is a 10 year old fastpitch player). I think the Insider Bat has helped a great deal. I would agree from a post above that it works better by tossing a tennis ball instead of using a tee... Very difficult to use a tee with this tool, especially for the younger players...

I actually purchased my insider bat on a youth baseball site: Insider Bat Orders - Buy Your Insider Bat Now!

They only charged $49.95, which is much lower than many of the other sites I researched. They have all the same information and testimonials on their site also. I had no problem with the shipping either.

Oct 12, 2009
Very difficult to use a tee with this tool, especially for the younger players...

I think that's telling.

IMO the only possible way to ensure that you're working on a good swing is by having them hit off a tee.

If they don't have a tee, they are free to do problematic stuff.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When I introduce the Insider Bat to a hitter I start off using a tee. I haven't experienced any issues using the Insider Bat with a tee ... other than those with a heavy desire to initiate their swing with a "push" end up struggling, which is what I like about this device. I should point out that I almost always use a Tanner Tee ... which IMO reduces the degree of false negative feedback that a tee can have. Perhaps the difference between us is that you are using a hard rubber tee, and I'm using Tanner Tees.

Oct 12, 2009
The bolded above... WHAT???

The only way I can think of making a product like the IB possibly work (not definitely work) is by hitting off of a tee. That way you can place the tee in a position (probably very deep in the strike zone) that forces them to do the right thing.

As FFS's clip shows, if you use the IB to hit front toss or side toss, then you are allowed, if not forced, to use poor mechanics to yield good results.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors