Insider Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2008
I just know that bat lag is killing my son and daughter as well as most of their teammates. This looks like soemthing we can use as a id to speed up the understanding and the process.

I don't know as much as most on here so I feel like tools and drills make it easier for the kids???

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

2wf95xx.gif

Oct 12, 2009
Chris, I would absolutely love seeing a video of you swinging the Insider Bat. As evidence by your post on baseball fever, you opinion of this bat is strong, but you also said you never used it.

I don't have an opinion about the bat as much as the video that is used to sell it and the mechanics that are advocated in the video (which are problematic).

While it's possible that flawed logic can lead to a good product, that usually isn't the case.

The pivot point is tight in relation to the handset at go (when the hitter commits to the swing), not the point itself. The swing and HPP is "tight" if during the initial burst of the swing, the hands stay tight. In my hip isolation drill, reminding kids to "stay inside the ball" will often fix this.

So how is this any different than the cue to keep the hands inside the ball?

Oct 12, 2009
This is not a good swing.

There's significant disconnection at the POC in this clip. I think some of this is caused by trying to hit the ball back up the middle while doing so with a tool that has a big bend in the shaft.

Look at how far forward the back elbow has leaked at the POC.

Look at how far away from the body the back elbow gets right before the POC.

InsiderBat.gif

If I was selling this product, I wouldn't use this clip to sell it.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I don't have an opinion about the bat as much as the video that is used to sell it and the mechanics that are advocated in the video (which are problematic).

While it's possible that flawed logic can lead to a good product, that usually isn't the case.

Simple yes or no question: Could you use the insider bat with a student to get positive results?

I have swung it and I have used it with my students with very positive results.

Every swing has a HPP. Simply "keeping your hands inside the ball" does not ensure anything with the barrel and bat speed in regard to that HPP. Perhaps you can use your "unhinge" word to understand this. When does the unhinge take place?

Oct 12, 2009
Simple yes or no question: Could you use the insider bat with a student to get positive results?

I don't know.

Before I saw the clip FFS posted, I would have said maybe. Now I'm not so sure.

Every swing has a HPP. Simply "keeping your hands inside the ball" does not ensure anything with the barrel and bat speed in regard to that HPP. Perhaps you can use your "unhinge" word to understand this. When does the unhinge take place?

The unhinge takes place about 1 frame before contact (at 30 FPS).

Listen, I don't have a problem at all with talking about a hand pivot point. To a large degree, that's what you do when you swing. Physics cause the bat head to rotate around that pivot point at the right time.

However, I don't think "tight" is a particularly useful adjective to use when talking about that pivot point.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009

In general, when I look at this clip I see a kid who has to do a lot of problematic stuff in order to hit the ball back up the middle.

That includes not keeping his hands tight to his body and thus his swing compact, which would appear to go against the implied purpose of the device (based on the name).

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I view the "hands inside the ball" as a subset of a "tight HPP".

Another way to look at it ... teaching a swing with a "tight HPP" results in satisfying the cue of "hands inside the ball".

IMO, the cue "hands inside the ball" can be satisfied without a "tight HPP" ... but a swing with a "tight HPP" will satisfy the goal of "hands inside the ball".

Personally I prefer the approach of teaching a swing with a "tight HPP" ... in that I consider this to be more specific and to teach "how" to have the "hands inside the ball".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321