Insider Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
Pujols_HR_Side.gif
Pujols_HR_Front.gif

vs

V_H_HD_BB_Public_AlbertPujols_1B_HR_ToRF_09-018_20FPS_SF.gif

This is why the frame by frame must be confirmed by watching clips at regular speed. (And why barrel blurs can be extremely helpful.)

What exactly do you think this shows?

What I see is a front view and another side view of the same swing.

P.S. Barrel blurs are utterly worthless because they depend on the camera, the shutter speed, and the available light level.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
BS
Pujols' shadow is directly underneath him which is the same for the ball's shadow.
The pitch is down the middle.

First, his shadow isn't directly underneath him, it's behind him slightly (toward 3B).

Second, the field is oriented to the NE, not due N, so a shadow around noon is going to appear to the 3B side of him.

Which it does.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
What exactly do you think this shows?

What I see is a front view and another side view of the same swing.

P.S. Barrel blurs are utterly worthless because they depend on the camera, the shutter speed, and the available light level.

To be exact, it provides more information. The clips are the front and an alternate side view of the swing you posted.

Barrel blurs show movement - fast movement - and this does vary by the factors you listed. To say they are "utterly worthless" is scary/surprising/disappointing. The timing/location of the blur can provide great insight into the quickness and speed of the swing. If that is utterly worthless... then I don't know what to say. The blur isn't going to be 100% consistent across all clips, but any camera will not capture the exact same movements every time. The more video you watch, the more you know what to dismiss due to technical issues.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
You can tell from the way the catcher sets up, and how his glove moves, that the pitch is on the black.

No shadows necessary.

P.S. That's also why Pujols went to RF with this pitch.

2-0 meatball. Is AP always that close to the plate? The pitch is away relative to the plate, but he seems closer to the plate which would make this ball more middle relative to his stance. Chris, you were at this game - do you remember this ball slicing?

Pujols_HR_Front.gif

Pujols12.gif

(Why didn't he hit this ball to right?)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
2-0 meatball. Is AP always that close to the plate?

Yes.

This allows him to stay connected better and to handle the pitch low and away.

He's fast enough to handle the ball inside.

Chris, you were at this game - do you remember this ball slicing?

Pujols_HR_Front.gif

I don't recall any major slice. It was pretty straight to RF.

Pujols12.gif

(Why didn't he hit this ball to right?)

Because it tailed back in a bit. It was also probably thrown harder. At least it was flatter.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
lol... you guys. This is almost over the top... shadows... pitch was down the middle... pitch was outside... You all think we can get back to "how to hit a damn SOFTBALL?"

Jan 10, 2010
Usually, I like to just let sleeping dogs lay, but I couldn't resist. We began using this bat extensively last week with my Zooka machine and tennis balls with my son and duaghter. (Previously, we used it sparingly off a Tee.) My daughter hasn't played any recent games, however, my son has played 2 games this week. My son is 10 and has always been pretty good about making contact but had trouble getting it out of the infield at times. But what happened this week is amazing to me.

In two games my son went 5 for 7 with a HR, 2 3B's and 2 1B's. He struck out once and grounded out once. He is crushing the ball. Of his 2 singles, only one was a groundball, but it was a laser through the gap between short and the 3rd base hole. He has never hit the ball harder. I am impressed. I believe the insider bat is the result of my boy's new found power and we will continue to use it to practice his and my daughters swing.

Last edited:
May 27, 2010
Agree with Nor10

I have to agree with Nor10. The Insider Bat seems to create some pretty significant results... I am going to copy two "real" stories that were found on newspaper articles about a player significantly improving with the use of the insider bat.

People will always have differing opinions on things, but it is hard to argue the success people seem to be having with the Insider Bat hitting trainer. It is a simple tool that is very easy to use. I have a couple of them and my kids really seem to like them.

The prices people are charging for the Insider Bat are all over. I found My-Youth-Baseball.com to be the most reasonable.<hr>

Minnesota Softball Homerun Record Broken!

Cooper's Walek homers her way to a state record | StarTribune.com

Cooper's Walek homers her way to a state record
Posted by Jim Paulsen
Last update: May 5, 2010 - 4:07 PM

Robbinsdale Cooper sophomore Brenna Walek set a Minnesota high school record Monday when she hit four home runs -- all of them over-the-fence shots -- in the Hawks' 17-0 victory in the first game of a double-header at Fridley. Walek drove in nine runs with her four blasts.

The four home runs in one game are a state record. The old record, according to the Minnesota State High School League website, is two home runs in a game.

Fridley pitchers were a little more careful when pitching to Walek in the second game of the double-header. She was intentionally walked in her first four at-bats before lining a single in her final plate appearance in a 10-0 victory.

The national record for home runs in a game is five, set in 1977 by Janet Weisenforth of Heatly High School in Green Island, N.Y.

"We received our InsiderBat in December 2009. We live in Minnesota and can't train outside during the winter months. I set up a net in our basement and used the InsiderBat along with various sized foam balls for the rest of the winter. When spring came and we moved outside to train and we brought the InsiderBat with us and used it with tennis balls.

Aside form reinforcing correct batting habits, it allows a player to reduce any fatigue because of it's light weight and compact size. We could add 50 to 100 more swings each session without compromising swing mechanics.

My daughter was more of a pull hitter last year. After a few months using the InsiderBat, she hits mostly gap to gap, which should be a goal for all hitters.

As I tell her, "goods things happen when you hit the ball up the middle". The InsiderBat trains the hitter to do that. The InsiderBat is my daughter's favorite training tool in her "hitting toolbox".

This May, 2010, my daughter set Minnesota state high school records for most home runs in one regulation game (4), Most consecutive home runs (4) and most RBIs in one regulation game (9). I will definitely say the InsiderBat played a big role in her development as a hitter and she has told me she will never train without her InsiderBat."

Thank You,

Frank & Brenna Walek <hr>

Rangers’ offense has Insider edge​

Rangers

Clements designated hitter G.R. Hinsley is hitting .529 this season - his first on the varsity. He credits the Rangers’ use of the Insider Bat as a big reason why he has been able to burst onto the scene.

By COREY ROEPKEN
Updated: 06.02.10
When Clements High School junior GR Hinsley got the call up to the varsity baseball team at the start of the season, his mind raced with thoughts of what he might accomplish.

After a successful sophomore season with the junior varsity, Hinsley said he thought he would do well at high school’s highest level. As the season has progressed, Hinsley has turned into one of Houston’s most feared hitters.

Clements enters this week’s Region III-5A championship series against Houston Memorial as one of the best offensive teams in Texas. The Rangers averaged 11.1 runs in 17 district games and have averaged nine runs in eight postseason games. Hinsley’s .529 average and 43 RBIs are a big reason why.

“I expected to do well,” he said. “But never anything like this.”

Hinsley is not the only Clements player seeing significant improvement at the plate. The Rangers’ hitters have great statistics from one through nine. Coach Israel De Los Santos credits the purchase of the Insider Bat as a major reason the Rangers are hitting so well.

The Insider Bat is a memory tool designed to remind hitters of the ideal swing path to the ball. It is bent in the middle after the grip and extends into a spatula-type surface on the end. Without the proper technique, it can make the hitter feel foolish.

“When we started with it I couldn’t do it,” Hinsley said. “We did it every day and that’s when I started hitting it. When I started doing that I got better in games.”

The Insider Bat emphasizes the palm up/palm down hand position before, during and after contact with the ball. It trains hitters not to roll his or her wrists or sweep the ball before or during contact. It teaches them to keep their hands inside the ball.

“If your hands are in the right spot the spatula part is flat and the ball will shoot right up the middle,” De Los Santos said. “If you roll over it you will completely miss.”

Cleanup hitter and senior first baseman John Stanford said he was the worst on the team when the players were introduced to it. It has paid off for him, too.

He hit one home run last year and had a .569 slugging percentage. This season he has eight home runs and a .767 slugging percentage. His improvement is similar to the rest of the returning starters. Last year’s Clements team was all or nothing. The Rangers had a lot of extra-base hits, but hit for a low average.

Cline Andrews is hitting .352 this year after hitting .286 in limited time last year. Matt Sugar is up from .267 to .337. Blake Johnson had four at-bats last year and is hitting .326 in a starting role this season. Samm Wiggins is up from .222 to .271.

Last year’s .316 batting average has risen to .342 this season. The Rangers had 56 extra base hits last season and have 98 so far this year.

“Last year we were a poor hitting team. That was our main problem,” Stanford said. “This year, if (the Insider Bat is) the reason, it’s been doing a great job.”

Clements likely will need all of its talented hitters to come through this week against Memorial. The Mustangs have been one of the top teams in Houston all season. The best-of-three series will be played Thursday, Friday and Saturday at Rice University’s Reckling Park. Thursday’s game is at 7 p.m. Friday’s game is at 8 p.m. If Saturday’s game is needed, it will be played at 4 p.m.

De Los Santos said Memorial is the type of team he would expect to see at this stage in the playoffs.

“They have pitching. They have hitting. They have a great coach,” he said. “They have older guys who are leaders and younger guys who have done well. They’re one of the best teams we’ve faced all year.”<hr>

May 28, 2008
ok don't have film work but played in first summer tourn. this weekend and dd went 6-9 after 2 weeks of working with IB. Still has some issues with swing but it is much better. I hope to get some film ASAP.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA