Illegal Pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
This happened twice on Sunday and I was wondering if the experts could shed some light on this situation:
ASA Rules.Runner on third. Pitcher goes into her wind up and loses control of the ball (the ball was wet). When the ball came out of her hand, it landed about 6 feet beyond the circle between 2nd base and the pitching rubber. The umpire calls “Illegal Pitch” and awards our runner home. I did not question the umpire because we scored on this twice. I would have thought that it should be called a “ball”. Not an illegal pitch. Any opinions?

Apr 27, 2012
I would call it a ball as well, especially if this was a younger group and it was wet out. An obtuse interpretation of the rule could call IP if dropping the ball happened before the step and not on a traditional release adding the fact that the ball was not delivered towards the plate. Effect of an illegal pitch though is a ball to the batter and all runners advance one base

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Illegal Pitch.
After hands separate pitcher must deliver ball in direction of home plate.
If it goes backwards/sideways it is an illegal pitch.

Correct call.

At 10U/12U ive never seen it enforced though.
"No pitch" is usually the ruling.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
It is not an illegal pitch if the pitcher simply loses the ball during the delivery. Nothing but a ball on the batter and live ball runners can advance with liability to be put out.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Where do people come up with these interpretations, especially when it is clearly noted in the rule book?

ASA Rule 6(FP).11. DROPPED BALL
If the ball slips from the pitcher's hand during the delivery, a ball is declared on the batter, the ball will remain live and the runner(s) may advance at their own risk>

Comp was all over this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs