Illegal pitch question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 27, 2010
So our batter is in the box and calls time and steps out. The pitcher goes through her motion but does not release the ball. What is the ruling on this? This was an ISA tournament.

Jan 25, 2011
If the batter asked for time and it was granted, then I wouldn't think anything would be called.

Jun 22, 2008
Coaches should teach pitchers to complete their motion regardless of what the batter may do. Dont know for sure about ISA, but in ASA, if the batter calls time, steps out etc in an attempt to induce an illegal pitch it should be declared a no pitch.

Mar 27, 2010
po called it illegal pitch advanced the runner and gave a ball on the batter. UIC called a no pitch gave the batter a ball and said because the ball never left the pitcher's hand that it was a no pitch. Get this then he told us that pitcher's should do this more often to fake out the runners on base and throw them out.

Mar 22, 2012
po called it illegal pitch advanced the runner and gave a ball on the batter. UIC called a no pitch gave the batter a ball and said because the ball never left the pitcher's hand that it was a no pitch. Get this then he told us that pitcher's should do this more often to fake out the runners on base and throw them out.
Ridiculous. Both the batter and the pitcher did something they weren't supposed to do. I would simply call time and instruct them not to do it again. Resume game from that point.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Ridiculous. Both the batter and the pitcher did something they weren't supposed to do. I would simply call time and instruct them not to do it again. Resume game from that point.

In other words a "do over". An umpire with creativity to solve problems with outside the box thinking. Just what we need.

Jun 22, 2008
In other words a "do over". An umpire with creativity to solve problems with outside the box thinking. Just what we need.

ASA rule 6-10-E
No pitch shall be declared when: No player, manager or coach shallcall time, emplly any other word or phrase, or commit any act while the ball is live for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit an illegal pitch. A warning shall be issued to the offending team, and a repeat of this type of act by any member of the team warned shall result in the offender being ejected from the game.

As for a UIC telling a coach to have the pitcher hold the ball and then throw to get the runner out, he obviously has no idea what he is talking about. If the illegal pitch is what caused the runner to leave early, only the illegal pitch is enforced and the leaving early is ignored. For that matter, even if the illegal act wasnt what made the runner leave early, the ball is dead the moment the runner left early, there is no reason to throw the ball to put the runner out.

Feb 7, 2013
Pitchers learn this the hard way. Just because the batter puts her hand up for time doesn't mean she is granted time by the umpire. When my DD was new to pitching she got called for an illegal pitch twice by the same team, once with a runner on 3rd because she stopped her pitching motion. I told her that once she starts her motion to pitch, she needs to deliver the pitch to the catcher no matter what. If the umpire calls it "no pitch", that's fine. She can do it all over again without penalty. In hindsight, I think the opposing coaches instructed a few of their batters to do this on purpose. 8U all-star game by the way.

Agree with GM, bhblue doesn't seem to understand the pitching rules and certainty his suggestion is the incorrect way to handle the situation.