I was attacked by parents at practice tonight!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
New to forum. Got involved in coaching when daughter moved into minor league. The Tball coach had them stepping with right foot to throw right handed. I thought about it and got into coaching. While I had zero coaching experiance I at least knew some fundementals. Got daughters team minor league. We moved players around and had two pitchers (not DD) rotating. Second yr one pitcher (not dd) used her all games moved players around. First yr LL assisted DD team did what HC and AC wanted and started on DD pitching for the nxt year. This yr I'm HC with AC. Both DD's pitch rotating them. Spent entire preseason everybody takes infeild then everbody goes to out field. Season starts have pretty much stuck with main infield pulling in here and there. My team drops in skill pretty quick. A lot of the less skilled have a lot heart so they are the ones getting moved in. My take is if they can handle infield I let them get thier chance. I am in no way putting a child in the infield if they can't a least protect themselves as all the teams have one or two that can hit and hit hard. In my opion the worst thing that can happen is a child getting beaned and develope a fear they will never get over and not wanting to play again. Never had any complaints directly on rec team. Never heard of any benind back. It may help that my wife says I have a hateful look that comes naturally.:eek: But I have yet to find a girl afraid of me and most relish in cutting up and having fun with me. First meeting made point of what and how I would be doing things and if you have questions feel free to ask but I had goals that is what we would do.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
You need to ignore these parents. Continue to learn yourself and research and seek advice. There are plenty of people here are happy be "mentors" of sorts to newbies like you. You are where we all were at one point in life. This is a great sport and offers great opportunities for friendships and the ability to impact a players life as a positive role model. Sounds like you made some rookie mistakes and I too have done so. But remember rule #1...All players tryout at all position roles (anything but Pitcher and Catcher) in practice. As far as how you choose to deal with pitchers and catchers this is your call and can depend on the teams situation currently. You need to view every position as who wil fill the role if someone gets hurt. This will allow you to be 2 deep (at a minimum) on all roles (out and infield). This at least allows players in the dirt and grass. It is equitable and can allow for some stability in games as people playing 3rd have been taught 3rd and the same for SS, 2nd, 1st etc..

Good luck and do not let this situation deter you. You will and can make an impact. Let the ones not happy leave and view it as a new start next season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG