I knew this day would come, just not expecting it yesterday

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Ever since she was 7 years old DD has wanted to be a pitcher. DD started pitching in 8U and worked hard over the years until she had established herself in 12U as a dominating starter. In the four year period covering 12U and 14U she was essentially the only starting pitcher on her teams. I can count on one hand the opportunities she was given to play other positions. When she wasn't pitching she was on the bench as her coaches didn't want to risk having her tired out or get injured. It went to the extreme that DD did not run bases for over 3 years, she would get a hit and then pulled for a runner. Her hard work pitching did not go unnoticed and earned her a spot on a very good 16U team. For the first time in memory she wasn't the only starting pitcher. This was good as DD was starting to say more frequently that just being a pitcher was not fun anymore.

Two weekends ago DD was given the chance to play 3rd when the starter went down with a season ending injury. Last weekend's friendly she pitched a game and played 3rd in the other two. In the two games DD started at 3rd, zero errors in 15 touches. This past weekend was a tournament. The coach approached DD and told her she would play 3rd. 6 games and DD continued her error free streak (OK, there was one possible exception where she threw to second to try to get the lead runner when she should have gone to first, the runner was almost at second when she threw). She did get 3 innings in the circle but these were junk time and coach wanted her to stay fresh just in case he needed her in the circle.

After the game DD approached her coach and asked him if she could continue to start at 3rd while the coach looked for another player. The coach looked at her and said, "Why do you think I am looking for another player? I have found my starter". I haven't seen DD that happy in a while. I will miss seeing her pitch as frequently as she has been but this is not about me, it is about supporting DD in her decisions as playing softball has to be something she enjoys.

May 18, 2009
That's cool and my oldest might need to change positions. It always helps when others go through similar things on this board. I love my oldest DD pitching but I think she's better in the outfield right now. She seldom makes an error. Can throw from her position to home like no other. The last three years she was the top pitcher. Right now she's third in the rotation. She is devoting more time to pitching practice but I wonder if she'd be better served if it went to hitting where she struggles.

Mar 25, 2011
kahenaghan, how tall/big is your daughter? I'm curiuos if velocity is stemming from size in these ladies....

Mar 15, 2010
Just wondering how do you know it's time to move on to a different position?

In DD's opinion? When pitching is not as fun as playing other positions. In my opinion? When DD comes off the field inning after inning with a smile on her face and it is because she is not pitching.

May 5, 2008
Thanks for sharing...that's why I dislike when coaches and parents try to peg their player into just one position before age 12 and never have them practice any other skills. Who knows what they will be or will want to be in a few years? Give them a good solid foundation to build and choose from!

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
We are in the same spot....DD is 1st year 14U....5'2' 105 lbs with her uniform helmet and cleats on. She throws in the low 50's with her movement pitches and has a great CU. if she doesn't grow any more, she will be done with pitching next year. she is a fantastic outfielder and is a good hitter; she would be even a better hitter if she could get in more reps, but with pitching that's just not feasible. She can pitch as long as she continues to practice and want to pitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma