Hustling in and out and to 1st.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 30, 2013
There’s been some recent discussion on a couple of the BB boards about “hustle”. A lot of the talk centered around hustling in and out between innings, but a lot was about busting it 100% to 1st base on all BIPs or other opportunities to legally reach 1st safely. From what little I’ve seen of women’s FPSB, I’d say the boys should be ashamed at how much “better” the girls handle both of those situations.

One of the major excuses for not going hard to 1st is the danger of injury. Also, there are those who feel the “prima donna” players should be excused because of their value to the team. What’s the general feeling among those who are much more familiar with FPSB?

Feb 7, 2013
I think the level of play has a lot to do with it. MLB, for example, have a lot of money riding on each player not getting injured and if it is a routine ground ball the batter/baserunner will be out 99.9% of the time. Why risk pulling a hamstring for an almost guaranteed out. The other factor is the shorter base paths in fastpitch, 60feet. The faster players can get to 1st base in less than 3 seconds and any bobbled ball or hesitation on the fielders part, can result in a close play at first base. In baseball, these fielders have all kinds of time to make the throw to first because of the 90foot base paths.

I don't like the lack of hustle in baseball, but I do get it for the college, minor and major league players. BTW - in PONY league that my son played, the kids are always encouraged to hustle to 1st base.

Jun 12, 2015
I love the hustle personally. Watching major league baseball drives me nuts for this reason. Though my older dd plays on a 12u baseball team where she's the only girl and her coach flips out on them when they don't hustle.

Sep 30, 2013
Rocketech1 and grcsftbll,

I think everyone who watches either FPSB or BB at any level wants to see the players busting their rear ends on every play or whenever they step on a field. Unfortunately, just as in every other walk of life, there are always exceptions. Sadly, the exceptions end up driving the conversation. :(

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
A must at top levels and showcases. College coaches will see this as lazy, or bad attitudes on the players behalf. You never know what will happen with a BIP, errors are a part of the game. Most of the slappers in my organization cause errors by hustling down the line. It is putting pressure on the defense to be quick and make good throws, that will sometimes lead to mistakes. ALWAYS HUSTLE DOWN THE LINE.

Aug 12, 2014
Some years back, I heard an interview with Ryne Sandberg and he was asked about not running hard to first. His response was that it's a long season and if he ran hard every time, he's wear himself out. I thought it was laughable - a professional athlete stating that he can't run hard for 90 feet 30 times a week because it's too much.

Jun 12, 2015
Some years back, I heard an interview with Ryne Sandberg and he was asked about not running hard to first. His response was that it's a long season and if he ran hard every time, he's wear himself out. I thought it was laughable - a professional athlete stating that he can't run hard for 90 feet 30 times a week because it's too much.
That's kind of pathetic. Apparently 10 year old girls have more stamina.

Sep 30, 2013
That's kind of pathetic. Apparently 10 year old girls have more stamina.

No, what’s pathetic, at least in baseball, is that as the level gets higher, coaches and others whose opinions matter like managers, owners, GMs, etc. accept what Sandburg said as being true and allow it to happen.

Jun 12, 2015
I think if I were the coach I'd tell them to jump on a treadmill now and then to stay in shape ;) Kidding. I have no real information on what's involved in training for baseball or any of that. I just think it's kind of funny that they can't run hard to first, according to that one guy anyway, because it's a long season and they'll get too tired. It just sounds...ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad