HS Softball team is terrible

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Who's catching for her now? My DD is 9 and has 2 teammates who catch for her. One is 10, the other is 8. The 8yo will be on her spring team and there is a chance the 10yo will be the #1 catcher in all-stars. They're all planning to play together again next fall. Both have caught for her during her lessons and she does regular play dates to practice with each of them.

Three years is more than enough time for your DD to develop working relationships with prospective catchers.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The high school my DD will eventually go to is traditionally awful at softball. The school is private, pretty small and actually goes from PK3-5th grade (lower) and 6th grade -12th (upper) and a lot of kids go through the whole system. 50% of the HS graduates last year had been at the school since at least 3rd grade. There were several 7th graders on the HS team last season. 3 of them started.

There was only one of my DD's classmates in grade school playing softball. She worried about who her teammates would be when she got to HS. So she started recruiting her friends - now she has 6 girls in her class playing rec and several girls in the year behind and in front of her playing as well. A few even joined her in travel this last season.

When did she start worrying? 3rd grade. The fact she went out and did something about it was pretty neat.

(BTW, travel is king here. High school is great, but it doesn't matter anywhere near as much as the travel season)

When increased playing time is offered as the incentive, you can often "recruit" a catcher from among the ranks e.g., "Who wants to play more and be involved in every pitch?" Next to P, catchers typically are the most sought after college recruits.

Jan 25, 2011
Okay,been reading this thread and all I can say is that maybe your dd should just skip HS ball and go right to a Div. 1 college ball,I'm sure if she is a good as you say,that all the big schools will be knocking at your door this spring.:D come on give us a break.:( I bet there is another parent at this HS,saying that they need a girl that needs to learn how to pitch,because there are no good pitchers coming up.Doesn't sound so good now does it:cool:

Apr 1, 2010
My DD is only in the 6th grade. She is a pitcher for a travel team and is pretty good, both her and the team. We went to about 4-5 HS games last spring and my DD is already better then 80% of the girls on the team. I can very easily see that there won't be a catcher in HS when she gets there that will be able to catch her.

I know I'm a crazy optimist, but I wouldn't assume there won't be a catcher for your daughter. For instance, my DD is also in sixth grade. She's a catcher, takes weekly lessons, and plays for a tb team based an hour away. I doubt that very many kids other than her close friends even know she plays softball. How can you be certain that there aren't girls like mine in your district who will suddenly come out of the woodwork to catch for your daughter's hs team when the time comes?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Much can happen between now and when your DD gets to HS. Not only that, based on your observations about your local HS, prepare for your DD to just have fun and probably get lots and lots of accolades during her HS softball career.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I know I'm a crazy optimist, but I wouldn't assume there won't be a catcher for your daughter. For instance, my DD is also in sixth grade. She's a catcher, takes weekly lessons, and plays for a tb team based an hour away. I doubt that very many kids other than her close friends even know she plays softball. How can you be certain that there aren't girls like mine in your district who will suddenly come out of the woodwork to catch for your daughter's hs team when the time comes?

Great point! As a matter of fact, 3 years ago at my DD's HS the freshman pitcher that took the team to the Section Championship game was POSITIVE that she had the starting pitcher position locked for 3 more years. Another freshman came in the very next year and knocked her from her pedestal. The new pitcher has started for the team for the next 2 years (so far). No one expected there to be anyone good enough.

Jan 13, 2010
Okay,been reading this thread and all I can say is that maybe your dd should just skip HS ball and go right to a Div. 1 college ball,I'm sure if she is a good as you say,that all the big schools will be knocking at your door this spring.:D come on give us a break.:( I bet there is another parent at this HS,saying that they need a girl that needs to learn how to pitch,because there are no good pitchers coming up.Doesn't sound so good now does it:cool:

I don't think I said that my DD is awsome. I said that she is better than 80% of the players on the team now. Guess what, I'm almost positive that of the people on this board that have DD's that pitch 80% of them are better then the girls on the HS team too.

I've seen girls on the varisty throw with the wrong foot forward. Pitchers that stay square to the plate to pitch, and just step and throw like slow pitch, also with the wrong foor forward. Not saying my DD is great, just saying how far behind softball is around are area.

Jan 31, 2011
I don't think I said that my DD is awsome. I said that she is better than 80% of the players on the team now. Guess what, I'm almost positive that of the people on this board that have DD's that pitch 80% of them are better then the girls on the HS team too.

I've seen girls on the varisty throw with the wrong foot forward. Pitchers that stay square to the plate to pitch, and just step and throw like slow pitch, also with the wrong foor forward. Not saying my DD is great, just saying how far behind softball is around are area.

Whatever you do Greg, don't ever say your DD can throw a 60mph fastball on this forum! LOL

I don't think its a fair thing to recruit a local catcher for your TB team if she is not good enough to make the team on her own merit just so your DD will have a decent catcher in a few years or so...

Like others have said TB will help your kid improve in the long run, but it is very cool when your kid gets her photo in the local paper! Communities tend to rally around the HS programs in our area even when superior teams play on the weekends.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Ray keeps us grounded:
You have to think differently...high school softball isn't travel ball. If your DD is a good pitcher, they'll find a catcher for her

My DD is a freshman pitcher(private HS), her coach knows her from travel ball and has been developing a catcher for her.
Now, this catcher and my DD are working out together 3x a week for bonding. Coach is aware that a good pitcher has fallen
into her lap and as we all know, good pitching in HS can bring relevance to the program.

Your DD is young-don't sweat the small stuff, HS is a couple years away, maybe the crystal ball will show a catcher moving into the area, transferring from another school etc. I certainly hope you have more important things to be concerned with. Your DD
has not yet reached the magic age of 13 which in my experience is where girls decide whether they want to play at all
in HS. Keep the fun in the game for your DD and let the chips fall where they may. Good luck!!!:)

Jan 25, 2011
Whatever you do Greg, don't ever say your DD can throw a 60mph fastball on this forum! LOL

Well my dd throws a 65 CU,her fastball,was clocked at 75mph,not bad she just turned 9yo yesterday.But that is only 80% of what she can do.BB875 LOL:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24