How to teach the intangibles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
We just finished up our first season as a team. We are moving to 18u in fall as I have some pitching help coming over from another team which will help considerably.

The problem I have with my team at the moment is with intangibles. Things that make good athletes, great.

Two examples:

Catcher receives the ball on a play at the plate, realizes that the girl is safe and guns the ball to second to get the girl trying to stretch out her hit instead of making the tag and waiting for the umpire to make the call.

They also let WAY too many balls get through the infield. Had multiple plays happen this past weekend where ball went by infielders that allowed two runs score instead of one or potentially even being able to get an out somewhere.

These girls aren't Gold/Elite etc level players. They could be. They have the ability and athleticism to be, but they lack the mental part of the game. Afraid of diving and seeing the big picture. I was taught these things so now they are like second nature to me.

I am not sure how to teach my players these things but this is what needs done in order to progress to the next level of their playing.

Any advice?

Editing to add that none of these girls have been playing travel their whole lives and most of them was their first time. They are older so they have missed out on a lot this type of training.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Most of that comes from experience, the more games they play the easier the intangibles will come to them.

Most girls aren't playing wiffle ball or sandlot ball on their own. They aren't watching professional games during the day or watching highlights on Sport Center.

Most of them are learning during the games and (hopefully) practice.

Jul 4, 2012
I like kick-ball to teach situations. We were involved with a rec- allstar team at 10U that had only two weeks to prepare, and we played kick-ball at the end of 5 or 6 practices. Kids nor parents complained about practice lasting an extra hour. They had fun, laughed, and I truly believe it helped their defense as well as their base-running.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red