how to open mind assess your DD ability ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
If your DD can effectively play 18U ball on a decent team, there's a place at some level of college ball. It's just a matter of finding the right place that fits her academic and softball goals. Heck, I've seen some unimpressive players on mediocre teams sign with JUCOs lately. One kid who was with DDs team for a short time a couple years ago just signed with a JUCO, and she could barely hit soft toss the last time I saw her.
I was talking to a D3 Asst coach a few years back and he admitted that he will recruits players knowing they will never see the field. Don't be that player! I see players on D1's that have 20 AB's in 3 years. I really hate to see that especially knowing the sticker price of that school. There are lots of parents that like to wear all the school's gear promoting the fact that their kid is/will be on the the team. Sadly lots of kids that are committed to ULL, and don't even know that they will be in the transfer portal within one year from now.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I was talking to a D3 Asst coach a few years back and he admitted that he will recruits players knowing they will never see the field. Don't be that player! I see players on D1's that have 20 AB's in 3 years. I really hate to see that especially knowing the sticker price of that school. There are lots of parents that like to wear all the school's gear promoting the fact that their kid is/will be on the the team. Sadly lots of kids that are committed to ULL, and don't even know that they will be in the transfer portal within one year from now.

It's easy to recruit extra players when you don't have to worry about allocating scholarship money. It's pretty obvious that it happens in JUCOs as well. I see teams well over 20 players in the Fall with the apparent expectation of attrition.

Nov 18, 2013
I thought that true for a long time, but I've watched a bunch of college softball in person lately. I see Div 1 players who can't hit a beach ball off a bucket. Some of them can't even field a ground ball reliably.

College can do that to kids, particularly D1. The game is so much faster than their used it can make kids who used to be superstars look totally inept.

Nov 18, 2013

Many kids would rather have the chance to compete at D1 than play every day at a lower level. There’s no way to know if they could have done it if they don’t try. Don’t assume a kid isn’t part of the team or isn’t happy just because they’re not in the daily lineup.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Many kids would rather have the chance to compete at D1 than play every day at a lower level. There’s no way to know if they could have done it if they don’t try. Don’t assume a kid isn’t part of the team or isn’t happy just because they’re not in the daily lineup. Yes, they are called Cheerleaders and have to put on that smile.
If your DD is fine with leading Cheers for a couple of years while waiting their turn then okay for them. Your DD thrived for 4 years pitching in the Big 12. I am sure you have had lots of conversations with parents who's kiddos aren't getting the PT that they think they should be getting. I know, I have. The transfer portal is bloated with lots of players who realized their "dream school" is not a good fit and is now nightmare. Parents. Do...Your...Homework! Talk to current and former players and parents. Have realistic expectations. This is the same for all divisions.

Have y'all started making your postcards yet?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
College can do that to kids, particularly D1. The game is so much faster than their used it can make kids who used to be superstars look totally inept.

I'm not talking about a throw arriving late because of a fast runner. I'm talking about routine grounders rolling up glove arms and sometimes even backing up. Obviously, they can play or they wouldn't be there, but I think it definitely gets into their heads.

Nov 18, 2013
If your DD is fine with leading Cheers for a couple of years while waiting their turn then okay for them. Your DD thrived for 4 years pitching in the Big 12. I am sure you have had lots of conversations with parents who's kiddos aren't getting the PT that they think they should be getting. I know, I have. The transfer portal is bloated with lots of players who realized their "dream school" is not a good fit and is now nightmare. Parents. Do...Your...Homework! Talk to current and former players and parents. Have realistic expectations. This is the same for all divisions.

Have y'all started making your postcards yet?

Postcards?

To be honest I don’t think I’ve had any conversations about a kid not getting the playing time they deserve. Sure they’d like to see them get in more, but they’ve been able to see why their kids weren’t starting. My conversations with other parents almost exclusively just want their kids to be happy. Such a nice change from HS where so many just bitch, bitch, bitch.

DD was thrust into a situation of be careful what you ask for because you might get it. She was hoping to have a chance to pitch some as a freshman. A couple of injuries and a transfer later and she was one of two healthy pitchers on the staff. She didn’t exactly thrive that season, but she learned a lot.

Agree completely on kids doing their homework and having realistic expectations. Being aware of what they’re getting into can head off so many problems.

Nov 18, 2013
I'm not talking about a throw arriving late because of a fast runner. I'm talking about routine grounders rolling up glove arms and sometimes even backing up. Obviously, they can play or they wouldn't be there, but I think it definitely gets into their heads.

Thats what I meant too. Routine grounders get to them so much faster than they’re used to and it can take time to adjust. That doesn’t excuse not backing up plays though.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Thats what I meant too. Routine grounders get to them so much faster than they’re used to and it can take time to adjust. That doesn’t excuse not backing up plays though.

Nah...they don't. There's nothing magic about the velocity of a "routine grounder" in college, even Div I. These girls all came from programs and/or high schools where everyone can hit a hard grounder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles