How to make travel as a catcher.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Softballdd

Wants to make travel
May 6, 2012
Hi, I'm a catcher. I love softball and have been catching in Little League for 4 or 5 years. I really want to make a travel team, but in LL pitchers aren't really using pitches like curve balls or breaking balls (it's more of a "hope that it's somewhere near the strike zone" situation). I don't really know how I should prepare myself for a travel team. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Aug 8, 2010
It has been said before, but it would be a great purchase for you to get Coach Weaver's DVD. You can get it on The New England Catching Camp . It is an amazing, comprehensive, DVD for anyone wanting to be a catcher. Just watching it the first time taught me tons. I learned things that I didn't know that I didn't know. And of course corrected me on some assumptions that I thought I had right. Coach Weaver has a way of explaining things that had me thinking "Now why didn't I think of that? Of course that is the way you should do it." The blocking section will be of great help with the breaking balls you will begin to see. Actually seeing and practicing receiving the breaking balls will be a learning experience but this DVD will help you in that regard and every other skill you will need.

I would let your coach watch it also, or whoever is going to be your catching coach. My oldest DD is a catcher, with 2 more showing interest, and this is by far the best money I have spent having anything to do with that position.

Good luck with your ball. I know you love it because all catchers have to love the game to play back there.

Casey
Vinci Player Rep/Fastpitch
howell@syrupcity.net
229-224-0759

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Not sure what age you are but when my DD tried out for her current team she simply expressed interest in being a catcher and they offered to let her catch during practices . She showed up for every practice and stayed for every pitching practice to help by catching for one of the pitchers . In the end they gave her a spot on the roster as a catcher after putting in a lot of hard work . She too had been a catcher in LL and now plays on a 12U Travel team . Your experience may differ but most coaches are gonna notice hard work and determination .

Softballdd

Wants to make travel
May 6, 2012
Thank you both. I appreciate the advice because anything helps. The DVD sounds great and I think the suggestion on asking if I could practice is a good one! I do love the game, and it's true that anyone who wants to catch must love the game!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06