How to handle almost entire team showing up late for game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
... and what a pisser to the girls who get there on time?

There needs to be accountability and consequences.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Another suggestion...Get all the parents on a group chat app (we are currently using GroupMe), and post game/show times. That cuts out half the excuses pretty quickly.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
This is how it goes for DD's team and now that I've seen how prompt families can be when there are consequences, I'm sold. Pretty simple and gets the message across VERY quickly.

For every minute that ANY player is late to practice or game warm up, 1 foul pole (start at fence and foul line and jog to CF, finish by sprinting to opposite foul line/fence. 1 complete foul pole is RF to LF and LF to RF). Every practice starts with 3 foul poles, so anything more adds up quickly. We NEVER have anyone late.

Running is the best form of correction. Here are some gems from my experience.

Example #1 - HC wasn't at practice and AC was in charge. Team came off a big tournament win and the girls were more than a little unfocused. AC give 3 warnings and eventually laid down the law. Never ever raised her voice over talking levels. "everyone, drop your gloves. Group up and start jogging around the field. Be careful and pace yourselves, you'll be doing this for a while"... 45min later they got to stop and had a lecture about how AC is a nice person. She didn't wake up wanting to yell at 12yo's and it was their actions that brought this down. Ouch, the level of respect for AC shot thru the roof from players and parents. Never ever messed around again.

Example #2 - In one of those days when coaches have already decided that this is going to be a hard practice, there was so much running from misplays, etc. HC yells out, "we're either going to be the best softball team or the best track team, today you get to decide!" I put that one to memory.

Anyway, I'm not sure why HC's shy away from treating their players like adults. Rules are rules...

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Too large of an Issue for me to discipline either players or parents at first. 2 players that showed up on time had to be annoyed.

You had your fun, there will be consequence next time.

Do not think your authority only is with players, I have banned a parent for a couple games. They are there DD is not playing, period.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I can't answer your question, but we played against a (very good) team that had a bunch of girls show up late. The opposing team played with no outfielders but plenty of girls on the bench. It's unfortunate for us that their ace pitcher showed up on time and we didn't hit any to the outfield. The opposing coach did check with ours first, because he didn't want it to slight our (first year) team.

Apr 30, 2018
We are a first year 12u team, and 10 of the 12 came from our 10u Spring All-Star team, although several players have done travel ball before. So there is some league mentality to it. At least one other girl would have been on time, but their IPhone screwed up the address when they copied it over from a text link (it was a different complex than Saturday). I don't think it was a parent mutiny, I think it was hungover parents and girls staying up to late. Girls told me at practice the other day that you aren't late until you are 15-20 minutes late. I laughed at that one. I said try that at school or at a job and see what happens.

We (coaches) are going to discuss it before practice this week and I'm going to suggest the head coach lay down the law and start enforcing it. I like the idea of late practice equals running, on time to games gives first choice at fielding, late to games equals end of the lineup.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD 1st practice at MS everyone was supposed to be there at 8:00 AM.

At 8:00 HC took thier cell phone out and started calling people. I wasn't really listening and only heard just driving into the parking lot at 8 does not mean she is on the field at 8. Seemed to becoming an argument when I left to go home.

I liked them immediately.

(Be careful with rules. DD was our only kid and DW or me could be anywhere anytime. Most the players did not have luxury. 1 mom dropped her kid off half an hour early to practice because she knew I would be there and then drove thier other 2 kids to thier practice trying to get them there on time.)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
Parents drinking beer at the hotel late?
Thats a first.. lol ;)
If it were me, I would forfeit the first game.
During that time I'd have a stiff conversation with the parents about my expectations including arrival times.
My thoughts exactly. Let the parents know that we won't play without a proper warm-up which requires being on time. They clearly don't believe there will be any consequences for not complying with what the coach requires.

Jun 11, 2019
Don’t underestimate the power of a great team culture. Having a clear, strong culture is well worth the effort and being a new team is a good opportunity to create one. Culture starts at the top so be very clear about expectations and rules as well as consequences. Develop a mission and vision for your team with the input of the players. Once you know the why’s the decisions about how to dole consequences become easy. Know that this doesn’t happen overnight, it takes a lot of time and effort. I was told “an effective coach says one thing a thousand times where an ineffective coach says one thousand things once”. Consider these few simple rules from Pete Carrol: 1. No whining, no complaining, no excuses. 2. Protect the team 3. Be early. Also consider books such as Chop wood carry water or Power of a positive team. I understand they are 12u but it’s never to early to teach them to be grateful, considerate people ready to put forth the effort and attitude required. We just went through a similar situation on my team and using these ideas I was able to transform the entire feel and operation of the team as a whole including my AC’s. Good luck to you!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi