How to handle a "helicopter dad"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Good point.

But then does our jurisdiction extend beyond ''don't coach mine.''

Not for me to say about any other player being coached. Maybe their parents want it. I speak only for me and mine. However, that's a fine line as well. Say, this dude is coaching someone and critical of mine. That will be met with some intervention by me. Again, coaches of the team set themselves up for a lot of drama if they allow a dad to coach from behind the dugout.

Jun 1, 2013
OP, your player is going to the next level, she doesn't listen to what he says, and he doesn't affect her game. (Whether he is trying to or not) You chose her coach, let him make the decisions (including this one). The coach may have already noticed and has heard the advice being offered. Maybe he agrees with it and this dad's (former coach) view of the game. Keep sitting in the outfield and let your dd's last year be drama free if possible. We all know as soon as you say something the drama will start. So let someone else say something or let the coach draw the line himself. Let the other parents with uncommitted players be the voice here. Seems like they have the most at stake. Just my .02 for u.
If it was me, (non committed daughter @14) I sure as heck would making sure there was a huge buffer zone between him and my player.

Jan 27, 2014
I would be handing out a letter for parents to sign that says they'll stay away from the dugout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors