How is this release?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Hi - How does this release look? Any other comments are welcome. Thanks.

[video]https://youtu.be/LVaUL86v-xo[/video]

Oct 4, 2011
Hahaha...

Thanks for your comments.

She will be 9 in about 5 months. At this point I am trying to make sure I don't talk too much and coach anything out of her. She has no patience for drills, so I basically have to approach it like, "hey, just go throw into the net as hard as you can. She's been at it for 3 weeks, although she did get some lessons from my oldest daughter in a "team environment" last summer and did throw the football underhand during some practices. I guess BM's suggestion of learning to throw underhand first is right.

The other day she was stepping and then, out of the blue, she is leaping today.

Should I tell her to release like Ueno, where the back of the hand faces the pitcher?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Hahaha...

Thanks for your comments.

She will be 9 in about 5 months. At this point I am trying to make sure I don't talk too much and coach anything out of her. She has no patience for drills, so I basically have to approach it like, "hey, just go throw into the net as hard as you can. She's been at it for 3 weeks, although she did get some lessons from my oldest daughter in a "team environment" last summer and did throw the football underhand during some practices. I guess BM's suggestion of learning to throw underhand first is right.

The other day she was stepping and then, out of the blue, she is leaping today.

Should I tell her to release like Ueno, where the back of the hand faces the pitcher?

IMO you have the cart before the horse. She should not be pitching from a full motion yet. Get back to throwing underhand and have her MASTER IT! Get her to learn to whip the ball hard then start getting the feet and body into the equation. You are building a house and you need to have a strong foundation to build upon. Learning to do it correctly now will save you lots of time and aggravation later.

Oct 4, 2011
Thanks for the comments riseball. Unfortunately, she wont have it. She just wants to throw and has little patience for doing drills or anything else that isn't pitching or home run derby. I need to approach this lightly and let her play. Anything else you can help me with in approaching it like this would be appreciated.

She would definitely play a lot of catch with the football though.

Apr 12, 2015
Thanks for the comments riseball. Unfortunately, she wont have it. She just wants to throw and has little patience for doing drills or anything else that isn't pitching or home run derby. I need to approach this lightly and let her play. Anything else you can help me with in approaching it like this would be appreciated.

She would definitely play a lot of catch with the football though.

She is either ready to learn how to pitch, or she is not. Sounds to me like she isn't. Best thing you can do is try to limit the amount of bad habits she picks up in the meantime.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I know a kid who seems similar. She never warms up. She just throws over and over. She got pretty good through 10U. At 12U, she found herself getting left behind. She's now asking for help and listens to every word. She's still a little too ADHD to drill, but she's becoming invested and knows she needs to improve to get circle time. I'm hoping her desire will overcome her impatience by next season.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Yes, that looks like where we are at. Thanks.
She is either ready to learn how to pitch, or she is not. Sounds to me like she isn't. Best thing you can do is try to limit the amount of bad habits she picks up in the meantime.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Baby steps! That's the best way to learn. I do understand where your coming from tho. You want your dd to practice and enjoy it. You feel like if she's doing drills she won't want to practice or she will refuse to practice?
Let her know she has to warm up her arm before full pitching to prevent injury. Have her do some drills to warm up, maybe don't call them drills just call it her warm up routine. At least that way your getting some drills in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez