How can a player commit to a school that is not allowed to contact her?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I keep hearing about verbals , which makes me ask how does a school get so familiar with a recruit before they are actually allowed to officially meet?

I know the student can contact the coach...but then again, why commit to a college when you are so young?

Also I'm hearing that they are not really a commitment by the school, so how is it binding for the student (a minor)?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Recruiting Calendars - Athletics Compliance Office - University of Notre Dame

There are contact periods. Also depending on the age and grade some of these don't apply until 9th or 10th grade. Camps, the coach can talk to them once they are on campus.

My DD was at a camp last weekend talking to all the coaches and one of them was her hitting coach for 2 years before they moved to a new school. There's loop holes and ways arounds for everything.

Oct 10, 2011
So if DD is at a clinic and one of the coaches that is helping teach the clinic is from a school she is interested in, can the coach only instruct if not on their campus? She was hoping to ask a bunch of questions while she was there:)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My $0.02....
1) Players will usually attend the camps of the schools they are interested in before they verbal.
2) Verbals are non-binding for the player or the school.
3) Players can visit a school unofficially as often as they would like. Unofficial = player pays travel costs.
4) Players verbal early because schools have limited athletic scholarship dollars and once they are spent they are done.
5) Unless a player is a STUD, most schools stop recruiting verballed players.
6) In non-revenue sports partial scholarships can be supplemented with academic money.
7) NCAA recruiting guidelines are geared towards revenue generating sports - football and basketball.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
A coach can talk to a player on campus. So if the camp is at their school, they can discuss anything. If they are simply working a camp off site, they are not able to talk about their specific school. Honestly, most verbals are initiated through the travel coach. College coaches can talk to them anytime. They show an interest in a kid, build the relationship with the travel coach, kid attends camp at school and offer can be made through travel coach. It is non binding and either side can back out. Seems like most schools honor the verbal. Where you need to be careful is coaching changes. If the coach that gave the verbal is fired, your offer may have just gone up in smoke. Also, the player can call and talk to the coach anytime. The coach just can't return the call.

All of this is assuming your DD is a sophomore or younger. The rules change their Junior year of HS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG