How an 8 second video helped a girl get a D1 Scholarship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
How an 8-second video helped South Christian senior secure Division 1 scholarship - MLive.com

GRAND RAPIDS – There were a number of reasons why Jackson State University coach Rick Fremin offered South Christian senior Sarah Austin a scholarship to play Division 1 softball for his program.

Austin, who recently signed a National Letter of Intent to play for the Jackson, Miss., based school, has the techniques, skills, character and personality to play for his team, Fremin said.

What else?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Impressive vertical, but I would think that would catch the eye of a basketball or volleyball coach more than a softball coach.......

Dec 20, 2012
Impressive vertical, but I would think that would catch the eye of a basketball or volleyball coach more than a softball coach.......

Really didn't even show a vertical, head rose maybe a foot. I'm sure it wasn't this video that got her the scholarship. Can you catch? No. Can you throw? No. Can you hit? No. Well how can you help our team? I can jump on top of three tires that are all stacked up.

Don't get me wrong it shows some good athleticism but does not prove any playing ability.

Jul 19, 2012
Really didn't even show a vertical, head rose maybe a foot. I'm sure it wasn't this video that got her the scholarship. Can you catch? No. Can you throw? No. Can you hit? No. Well how can you help our team? I can jump on top of three tires that are all stacked up.

Don't get me wrong it shows some good athleticism but does not prove any playing ability.
Exactly!!!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
perhaps there is something to be learned from this. That is that coaches are willing to work with someone who is athletic and not perfectly polished over someone who is perfectly polished but not athletic.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

She was expected to play Div III or NAIA, so she could play ball. But according to the coach who gave her a scholarship, this video helped.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild