Hitting Strategy Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2010
At the 12u level, should coaches be using batting strategy such taking pitches on a 2-0 or 3-0 count or is best to let them go up and concentrate on swinging the bat?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
At the 12u level, should coaches be using batting strategy such taking pitches on a 2-0 or 3-0 count or is best to let them go up and concentrate on swinging the bat?

Yes, I think coaches should use batting strategy in 12U. But ideally, 12U hitters are using batting strategy on their own and don't have to be coached during the game except the occasional time when the 3rd base coach might give the take sign. Not sure if this is what you're asking, but if a 12U batter is just going up and concentrating on swinging the bat and not treating 3-1 different than 1-2, then that's a significant weakness in her game.

Nov 29, 2009
Not sure if this is what you're asking, but if a 12U batter is just going up and concentrating on swinging the bat and not treating 3-1 different than 1-2, then that's a significant weakness in her game.

Going through that with the team I am working with right now. I talked to the HC and told him the kids need to understand what they are trying to accomplish at the plate when they are up there. I also talked to the Hitting Coach for the team. She thought it would be too much for them to try and digest. I just left it at that and let the HC deal with it.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
I agree , Sparky Guy, 100%. My dd plays 12u travel ball and i see some of the girls with 2 strikes, still swinging for the big hit. Instead of maybe choking up a little and putting the bat on the ball and letting the defense make a play.
Her middle school coach was really trying to implement the strategy that was brought up in this thread. They do sometimes get the take sign, 2-0 and 3-0 counts, from the coaches when they see a pitcher struggling with their control.

Jan 25, 2011
I agree , Sparky Guy, 100%. My dd plays 12u travel ball and i see some of the girls with 2 strikes, still swinging for the big hit. Instead of maybe choking up a little and putting the bat on the ball and letting the defense make a play.
This is where I would disagree when it is my dd. She hasnt been working with her batting coach for the last 2 1/2 years working on her swing ,to just give up because she has 2 strikes.

Nov 29, 2009
This is where I would disagree when it is my dd. She hasnt been working with her batting coach for the last 2 1/2 years working on her swing ,to just give up because she has 2 strikes.

It's not about giving up with 2 strikes. It's about knowing what to do with the tools you have.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
I think it depends. A 12u rec ball team is different than a 12u TB team. In a tight game, bases loaded, and your best hitter at the plate. She needs to know what a green light means just as much as a take. The coach needs to explain what they are doing. Don't just say "do not swing unless I say so". Tell the girls why. "We are trying to get this pitcher tired." At the same time you might want to turn the girls loose if there is a weaker pitcher. Have them swing at lots of things. It is no fun watching a walk fest.

Nov 1, 2009
The name of the game is base runners. If you have a pitcher that is unable to throw strikes why would you bail her out by swinging at 3-0. If you have a pitcher that has great control and is just nibbling then by all means have them ready especially on the 2-0.

As far as making contact with two strikes. To me an out is an out so I don't really care if it is a weak grounder or a strikeout. Now if it is always a strikeout that is a different story but over time I have migrated to let them still swing to hit it hard.

Dec 7, 2011
In the upper midwest where in general we are terrible hitters (compared to the rest of the country) I say LET EM HIT & LET EM HIT ALOT,... but hard!

I think this brings to light a big difference in the upbringing of girls compared to boys in the bat/ball sports. At a very young age boys would head out to the parks for pick-up games and it is all about getting bat-speed and pounding the crud out of the ball. In general I think girls never go through that phase and go right into organized SB which starts them off with "Sally wait for a good pitch". I think that girls in SB don't get enough "HR-Derby" mindset in their SB development. Too bad.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06