Hitting Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
Looking for something different.....we have 9 players, so what kind of on field hitting ....team type or group hitting....coaches are available to pitch as well...Ideas?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What age? What skill level - rec, travel, school?

Generally speaking, I prefer to minimize players standing around waiting for their turn. I like to set up multiple stations (live, tee, soft toss, bunt, etc. - as many as you have coaches), and anyone not active at a station is in the field shagging balls. Rotate everyone through, or work in groups.

Another one I like...Live pitcher (coach tends to work best), batter, on-deck batter (2 is better), all remaining players take a position in the field (fill the IF first). Batter hits, and it's a live ball. If they are safe, they stay on base. If they get out, they take a position in the field, and a fielder now gets in line to bat. If a hitter comes around to score, they get back in line to bat. If they are safe on their own hit, but are put out on a subsequent play, they take the field. We tend to rotate the field positions so whoever is playing 1B is next to bat - when a batter is out, 1B goes to bat, 2B moves to 1B, SS to 2B, etc. Batter takes the "last" position on the field.