Hips go forward hands go back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
My Signature

Someone asked me what it meant, and when does it happen in the swing.

Allot of new hitters sway over top their back leg when they swing. Sway the whole body. Waist, upper body and arms. Sway back, sway forward and hit.

Howard calls the space between your legs the pyramid. Load inside of leg, go out to toe touch, swing with out going out over top your front leg.

If I have a swayer. I have them load the inside go out to toe touch and rest the bat on their shoulders.
Do that a few times then have them think throwing.

Load inside of leg go out to toe touch and separate your hands straight back like you do when you throw a ball.

That is where the saying is, hips go forward as hands go back.

Like this. It create's a space between hands and back hip.

Perfectseperationattherighttime.gif

My daughter below is in a game. She loaded and went out to toe touch. Her weight is either nuetral or 55/45 with a small amout back. Her front knee is bent and weighted some for good rotation.. Her heel is off the ground. The weight is inside on the big toe of the front foot.
Her hands are back, creating that space between her hands and back hip. I like the back elbow up at this point. Level or almost level.

From this point the pitch is coming.
What happens after this is another topic.

Straightleg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
My daughter and I have been going to SB clinics at Alabama. The coaches there refer to it as walking away from the hands. They advise it is like having a rubber band fasten to the hands and the lead foot and you stretch the rubber band.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
If you begin with the hips/lower body there is going to be some inertia for the body to overcome with the upperbody. The hands therefor will remain in the same place creating some separation.

I like what Peppers says.

The hips and lowerbody are the handle of the whip, and you are trying to transfer as much energy into the bat (arms/hands). This is not a sloppy action, doesn't have any large delays. It's a tight woven sequence.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I would say unless you have a setup similar to Kent, you will not have the exact "same" actions. He starts with the hands slightly in-front of the back shoulder, and then gets them behind into a good launch position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck