high school softball season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2019
DD's participating in HS softball conditioning twice a week. Same 2 days she practices with her travel ball team. Once the IHSA season starts in late Feb, I think she'll have to commit to one of the team practices and almost certainly will go with the HS team.
Has anyone else tried attending HS and travel team practices through March?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD's participating in HS softball conditioning twice a week. Same 2 days she practices with her travel ball team. Once the IHSA season starts in late Feb, I think she'll have to commit to one of the team practices and almost certainly will go with the HS team.
Has anyone else tried attending HS and travel team practices through March?
That is not allowed under the IHSA Rules. When the HS season starts, all of the TB teams that I know of stop practicing.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My post was 3 or 4 years ago with a link to the rules. I will accept I might be wrong, accorded to this board I am most the,time.

Aug 6, 2013
I'm just reading these and experiencing HS SB FOMO for my DD. Her school coach does nothing off season. I don't know if it's a rule or what but there is absolutely no work outs - no open gyms - nothing until tryouts I'm guessing. We moved to VA from KS and I know for a fact her HS in KS has been doing doing voluntary off season work for a few months and they have already had their softball meeting because we still follow their programs on Twitter. Yep - FOMO there too, lol. I just don't think HS is such a big deal in this area I guess (at least at her school). FWIW her TB team continues to practice (3x per week) and train (2x per week) so it's not like she isn't getting work I guess. It just isn't with her HS teammates.

Oct 26, 2019
I'm just reading these and experiencing HS SB FOMO for my DD. Her school coach does nothing off season. I don't know if it's a rule or what but there is absolutely no work outs - no open gyms - nothing until tryouts I'm guessing. We moved to VA from KS and I know for a fact her HS in KS has been doing doing voluntary off season work for a few months and they have already had their softball meeting because we still follow their programs on Twitter. Yep - FOMO there too, lol. I just don't think HS is such a big deal in this area I guess (at least at her school). FWIW her TB team continues to practice (3x per week) and train (2x per week) so it's not like she isn't getting work I guess. It just isn't with her HS teammates.
We are from the same area (at least I think). Most high school coaches don’t do much out of season around here because it’s hard to compete with travel. Most kids would choose travel softball practice over their high school conditioning or out of season work so it makes it not worthwhile for high school coaches. Oddly enough, the exact opposite is the culture with baseball around here. Most kids from good programs choose high school out of season conditioning over travel.

I know my daughters future high school coach is worried about kids doing both travel and school ball from an overuse and burn out standpoint and figures travel won’t stop doing their thing so if he cares about the athletes, then he has had to back off some so they have some break.

Aug 6, 2013
We are from the same area (at least I think). Most high school coaches don’t do much out of season around here because it’s hard to compete with travel. Most kids would choose travel softball practice over their high school conditioning or out of season work so it makes it not worthwhile for high school coaches. Oddly enough, the exact opposite is the culture with baseball around here. Most kids from good programs choose high school out of season conditioning over travel.

I know my daughters future high school coach is worried about kids doing both travel and school ball from an overuse and burn out standpoint and figures travel won’t stop doing their thing so if he cares about the athletes, then he has had to back off some so they have some break.
That makes sense. In my previous post I made it sound like her TB team practices 5 days a week - they aren't that crazy, lol. They have a gym workout 2 days a week on Thursday night and Saturday morning. Then they have indoor practice at their facility on Tuesday, and Sunday. Now after their one hour gym workout on Thursday they do head over to the facility to do some hitting. Since they are in the facility they are limited on exactly what they can do.

I guess it would just be nice for Haley to have the opportunity to interact some with her HS teammates as well but there is literally nothing happening. Her freshman year they did have some fall work - then spring was Covid and season was cancelled. Sophmore year no fall because of Covid (also virtual school) and shortened spring with only 14 games total. Now she is a Junior back to in person school and I was hoping things would get back to a little bit of normal (whatever that is) but I guess we are still in the "new normal" or HS coach realized she liked no work until actual season, who knows.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles