High School Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
IMO, if she's too stubborn and set in her ways to ask the coach, then she should not make assumptions, such as the one you offered.

Don't get me wrong. If the situation is as you described it, there's no logic in the decision, and it's hard to take. I just don't think it's fair for anyone to conjecture if they aren't willing to have a conversation with the coach to verify.

I meant the coach is stubborn and ser in her ways not my kid...

Jwp

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I meant the coach is stubborn and ser in her ways not my kid...

Jwp

Sorry, my bad. My point, though, is just that it's perhaps not fair to criticize or assume something if we're unwilling to ask for an explanation. But I also understand that asking can make things worse. Coincidentally, my daughter batted last over the weekend for travel ball, and I'm pretty confident that her stats for the season would not be 9th best. I'd bet she's around 6th in OPS. She's hit HR in c'ship games each of the past two weekends. So there's lots of ammunition. But coach is not going to make a change because a player asks about it, and coach probably would prefer that players not worry about individual stuff like that, and I don't blame them. My DD is new on the team, doesn't care where she bats, as long as she bats, so it doesn't matter. It's a good team, they're winning, etc.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Do not try to understand the actions of a HS coach using critical thinking. It can be an futile exercise since a softball centric mindset is often conspicuously absent. Many HS coaches are intimidated by TB players. Do not try to understand it. Just make the most of it and encourage her to use it as an opportunity to prepare to play in college.

Is this true? If I coached HS, I would encourage ALL the girls to get on the best team they could for TB. What HS coach wouldn't want a squad of high level players?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Is this true? If I coached HS, I would encourage ALL the girls to get on the best team they could for TB. What HS coach wouldn't want a squad of high level players?

It's not that they don't want travel players, IMO. It's that some might feel insecure around travel players because TB players often are exposed to a higher level of play and coaching than the HS coaching has been and can provide. They also often have parents who don't respect high school coaches. That sort of thing.

Dec 29, 2010
Awwwwwwww here we go. If your dd''s are not lucky to have experienced coaches for HS, I feel your pain. Talking to a buddy who dd plays varsity. Team was pulling everything, avg to slow pitcher nearly smashing 3b coach. AC says to team choke up on bat so u dont get too much bat speed.

I Kidd u not. With the wealth of information on the net, various websites, how can u not become a better coach, player, parent. Just alone the members here who dds been thru the turmoil, cutting thru the crap, so the journey can be a much more pleasant for your dd, family, and your sanity.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Awwwwwwww here we go. If your dd''s are not lucky to have experienced coaches for HS, I feel your pain. Talking to a buddy who dd plays varsity. Team was pulling everything, avg to slow pitcher nearly smashing 3b coach. AC says to team choke up on bat so u dont get too much bat speed.

I Kidd u not. With the wealth of information on the net, various websites, how can u not become a better coach, player, parent. Just alone the members here who dds been thru the turmoil, cutting thru the crap, so the journey can be a much more pleasant for your dd, family, and your sanity.

I think that for too many coaches it is not about knowledge of the game or the players, it is about feeding their ego. During a game a good coach like a good umpire should be invisible. Unfortunately some feel that they are what the game is all about.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
For the record, I was never intimidated by a TB player or their parents. Then again, I have a huge ego and coached only for myself.
3016001544avatar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi