Helping out a friend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD must enjoy catching a lot to take her time to go and catch for a friend who's trying to learn a new pitch. I know a lot of kids that play but few who agree to just go help a friend with batting or fielding. I was playing with my Kodak and just set it up to get her on digital. I see a hand that's not staying where it's supposed to.

Here is the link. [video=youtube_share;YVMgGMWD7q4]http://youtu.be/YVMgGMWD7q4[/video]

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Good for her for helping a friend. As a bonus, she will also be helping herself. The experience my DD got catching for the "wildest pitcher ever" (i.e., at least every 3rd pitch was a minimum of 3 feet from the intended target and entirely unpredictable whether it missed up/down/in/out) probably was one of the biggest contributors to her improvement receiving and blocking. Have your DD mix in the runner's on postion every #th pitch and be ready to block until she get's tired (or develops downhill skier leg stamina).

Unlike w/ dumb old dad, she can't argue with video proof that her hand is floating, not fisted and therefore is susceptible to a foul tip. Have her try to lightly touch or partially hook a fingertip on or under her leg guard strap to give her a better awareness of where her hand is so that keeping it protected becomes second nature.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
My DD has the same bad habit when putting her hand at her side so we recently switched to having her put the balled up fist of her throwing hand behind her glove in the "V" that her thumb and index finger makes which is the New England Catchers Camp philosopy.It solved 2 problems one of which was revealing her throwing hand while catching and the second was the bad habit she had of putting her throwing hand in front of her mitt when blocking (even after hundred of dry reps as soon as a ball was present she wanted to grab it). It may look a little funky compared to what most catchers do but even her coach was surprised at how much better it worked as well as giving her a little quicker pop to pop time due to a quicker transition from glove to throwing hand .

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
we recently switched to having her put the balled up fist of her throwing hand behind her glove in the "V" that her thumb and index finger makes which is the New England Catchers Camp philosopy.

Partially true, hand sits behind calf with no-runners-on stance.

Fist behind glove and thighs horizontal with runners-on-base stance.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Yes she has incorporated a lot of the NECC method to her catching. With runners on she will have her thighs horizontal to the ground. Her new thing is throwing down to 1st just to keep the runners on their toes. Occasionally they aren't.

I like how easy she sits back there. I see some catchers and they look wound pretty tight behind the plate. She looks relaxed but is ready to go right, left, up or down depending on the circumstance.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Partially true, hand sits behind calf with no-runners-on stance.

Fist behind glove and thighs horizontal with runners-on-base stance.

Sorry but its completely true for my DD since a foul tipped ball doesn't care whether someones on base or not . I was simply referring to the hand position outlined in the DVD .

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
InsidePitch, great that your DD is helping another player. It works out great for both players. My DGD helps out everyone she can and drops everything when her personal coach calls and needs her help. Heck, at a 12yo she was catching a D1 pitcher and did a great job. And she only got better.

As far as hand placement, she places her hand behind the mitt with runners on or no runners on. The hand is protected in both cases and she just feels more comfortable. And with no runners on, she works just as hard to block everything she can as if runners were on just more for practice. Even had several blues thank her for stopping the balls.:)

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I have seen the hand behind the mitt removed as the ball is coming in a similar way to DDs bringing the hand out just before the ball arrives. I wonder how many kids setup correctly but adjust right before contact. I'd think there would be a greater tendency with runners on first and the C starts cheating to get the ball to the throw hand.

I'm going to start looking for it to see if DD is not the only one with this issue.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Sorry but its completely true for my DD since a foul tipped ball doesn't care whether someones on base or not . I was simply referring to the hand position outlined in the DVD .

That is one of the hand positions on the DVD, yes. It is not the only one. That is all I meant to say.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
As often as we work with catchers and throw pitches at them at their lessons, the greatest way for them to improve and work their skills is to catch live pitching. (not in games) Volunteering to catch for a pitcher at their practice or lesson keeps parents off the buckets and allows them to focus on their own catching skills. At 16 my daughter was catching for a local pitching instructor and catching college pitchers. It scared her at first, but it helped her immensely.

It is best to have a plan before going into the cage though. Alternate between "runner on" and "no runner on" stances.... (3 or 5 of each) Attempt to block any pitch hitting the ground or floor, receive pitches with proper glove-work, Focus on keeping the body safe with feedback from parents or coach. Video recording the session or part of the session so that your catcher can see themselves and better understand how they react to pitches. Feedback is critical. Most catchers are so used to catching a certain way that they are oblivious to what they are doing wrong. Once you call attention to a certain part of their skill and focus on it as they catch, they start to be able to realize what their body is doing wrong and are better able to correct the skill.
Chaz @ ACC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG