Help with daughters swing (videos)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2011
My older DD (13) has now decided she wants to start playing ball after watching her younger sister play for the last year. She is a great fielder but her swing needs help.

Here is what Ive been able to notice and would love more input (keep in mind the first time she picked up a bat ever, was last June so be a little gentle)

She drops her hands & leaves them behind
Seems to dip at the start
Breaks her wrist to early

She sees the ball great and when we can get a level swing out of her she can drive the ball pretty good considering how scrawny she is lol.

Here are 3 videos, last one being the best of the group IMO.

madbad.wmv - YouTube

madbad2.wmv - YouTube

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She sees the ball great and when we can get a level swing out of her she can drive the ball pretty good considering how scrawny she is lol.

Bold above ... that may be "part" of the issue. I say "part", because in addition to what resembles a "level shoulder" type swing approach, there are issues such as bat drag, spinning, use of a poor swing sequence, lack of stretch, a poor weight transfer, a gate-like swing, and other issues.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
The tee that far out will promote an arm swing. Only way to reach the ball. Tee around the front foot.
Her body will react different some with less space to work in.
Try the tee around the front foot heel and see what looks different in the swing.
Maybe send video of that swing

SL

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
If it were my DD I would start with the sequence by doing what Slaught does here. Notice Slaught's posture when he starts his sequence. I would have your DD start exactly how he starts. When she can do this drill with two hands on her game bat, she will be in good shape. Ignore the big Red words for now.

2j0dxyc.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Read Megan1 post started by Immortal1 if you haven't already.Will explain the why,what and how come of the great suggestions from the above posters.

Feb 14, 2010
Papa,

The biggest you have going for you is that she is very inexperienced so she doesn't have a lot of muscle memory to rebuild. FFS hit on all of her issues and now the work falls onto you and your DD. You yourself must first understand the feel and the why of the swing components from people you choose to listen to. Good luck to you and your DD

Mar 30, 2011
Straightleg, I will get you some video of her swing with the tee closer in the next day or so. The reason I had it so far out was to get her to reach for it rather then rolling her wrists out and doing the "windshield wiper" with the bat. This was a drill somebody told me to try to help her with that problem.

Wellphyt, the sequence you showed promotes the step swing and our coach is about as anti step as you can get. He claims that a girl that steps is more likely to get caught off balance with a change up then one who does not. Me personally, I prefer the step.

rdbass, could you put a link to that post.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If it were my DD I would start with the sequence by doing what Slaught does here. Notice Slaught's posture when he starts his sequence. I would have your DD start exactly how he starts. When she can do this drill with two hands on her game bat, she will be in good shape. Ignore the big Red words for now.

2j0dxyc.gif

Wellphyt ... have noticed that you've mentioned a few times to ignore the 'red' words in the above clip. Here's the clip without the words ... use it if you prefer.

33z4uow.gif

Here is Don performing the basic drill with two hands on a bat from two different stances ....

nb8lc.gif

353duld.gif

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
353duld.gif

We do a version similar to this where the front leg works kind of like a pitcher winding up. Thanks for posting it. Also, thanks for posting the other one without the Red words.

Most kids that I've coached over the years have been over coached to the point where they look like statues when they hit. When I first try to get them to do loosen up and do this drill they are so uncomfortable. It goes against everything they have been taught. It's like trying to humanize a robot. Once they figure out the sequence, they love it because they feel less rushed against live hitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad