Help with change up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
I'm not sure if it's the norm or not for a flip change but you might have her really put it in her palm to help take off speed. Like others said...don't slow down!

May 18, 2009
We progress great until 30 ft. It's that last 5 ft we can't seem to get. I may break down and take her to a PC. I have a couple of things I'm trying to work with her on that would work better with an extra eye.

Jun 18, 2010
Start 10' away, then move back 5' at a time over 20 or so pitches until your normal distance 35/40/43. Any time we started learning a new pitch we use this. Always working the release and spin from the shorter distance, certainly not at full speed, up close usually just upper body simulation. As you move back, you're adjusting/tweaking speed and mechanics. When we are close ( distance ) we want the focus to be on the wrist, snap, flick, finger pressure, slot. Moving back we add in leg drive, arm whip, resistance, etc.

Seems to always help us getting the proper distance for any breaking pitch or CU, if we conquer a few feet at a time while learning.

Good advice, that's exactly how we warm up her change up each and every time.

I'm not sure if it's the norm or not for a flip change but you might have her really put it in her palm to help take off speed. Like others said...don't slow down!

That's a queue I give DD when throwing her flip change.

Jun 18, 2010
We progress great until 30 ft. It's that last 5 ft we can't seem to get. I may break down and take her to a PC. I have a couple of things I'm trying to work with her on that would work better with an extra eye.

Don't give up, DD is 14 and has been working on her change up for 2 years. I have heard it is one of the toughest pitches to learn. Just keep doing your progression... she will get it.

May 18, 2009
Tonight we were in doors. We had a little extra time so DD wanted to throw a few pitches. She started throwing the heat. After about four or five nice pitches and without me asking she threw a perfect change. She followed with another. Then she asked me to start giving her signs on what to throw. Then she couldn't hit them. It was fun and I think I will just have her throw them when she feels like it. Maybe she over thinks it when I call it?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez