Helmet decals / awards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
I wanted to get some input. I have seen some teams that have small decals on their helmets that seem to be a reward for something. (Similar to college football teams) can someone give me an idea of what they are rewardfor them for?I assume they are for stolen bases, rbi,s, extra base hits etc. It seems like a good way to encourage / reward the kids.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
We did this one year. It was the first year of player pitch, and we were trying to encourage girls to swing the bats, and rewarded them with a helmet sticker for a ball hit in play. Of course, at young ages this can be a very slippery slope. One girls gets a sticker, and the next thing you know, you have a whole team of free swingers wanting to get that hit. But heck, it was better than every girl hoping for 4 balls and a walk. We also gave a treat to the MVP of the game. As luck would have it, every girl ended up being the MVP for at least one game that season!

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
I do this for 10U Rec and the kids love it. I generally have gloves for a defensive player, bats for an offensive player, and one for an MVP. I reserve the right to give out as many stickers as I want per game. It is Rec ball so I do my best to spread it around but these girls are old enough who made a big play.

Jan 24, 2011
I have done this for several years. I give white stars for each RBI and extra effort /hustle plays. I also give a gold star for the tournament MVP (decided by coaching staff). My team (14u) never lets me forget their stickers (I usually give them the very next practice). Not every player ends up with a star every week , but I think this makes them more coveted. Now when someone is in scoring position , the girls in dugout will yell something at the batter like " Hey Allison , you have a helmet sticker waiting out there"

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2009
Our coach tried it this past summer, but the problem was that he had a hard time remembering what plays happened because he was so busy coaching. He tried to get the score keeper to keep track, but they forgot because of their score keeping duties (I don't think they kept track of things like errors - if a girl got on base it was marked as a hit, which means there were too many girls getting stickers). He then tried a third person who didn't have any duties to keep track, but they kept forgetting. The idea just kind of died ont he vine at that point.

Oct 16, 2012
Out team did this last year - all with good intention. After the first 5 games, of course, had parents - upset because they thought their daughter deserved an award when they didn't do anything to earn it. Never again!

Jan 24, 2011
Out team did this last year - all with good intention. After the first 5 games, of course, had parents - upset because they thought their daughter deserved an award when they didn't do anything to earn it. Never again!

This way you only give the awards for very specific things. There is no gray area

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Simple...Team Wins. Everyone gets a sticker. Team Loses..Everyone goes back to work. It works and there is no more parental dispute over who deserves a "sticker" or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan