Heavier Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tbake333

The Freshman
Apr 18, 2010
Midwest
I'm currently on the DL nursing a subluxated vertebrae, but I would really like to swing a heavier bat when I get back in the game.
Right now I have a Vendetta, 19 oz 31 in, and all I really get out of it are grounders that I have to beat to first. Granted that my swing does need work and the bat doesn't make the player, I tend to get made fun of a bit for my lack of ability to swing a bigger bat.

I have acess to all kinds of equipment as far as lifting weights goes, but what can I do that has low to no impact on my back that will improve my strength to swing a heavier bat eventually? Also, it would be nice to include things to do once my back is healed.

Thanks,
T

Oct 25, 2009
I'm currently on the DL nursing a subluxated vertebrae, but I would really like to swing a heavier bat when I get back in the game.
Right now I have a Vendetta, 19 oz 31 in, and all I really get out of it are grounders that I have to beat to first. Granted that my swing does need work and the bat doesn't make the player, I tend to get made fun of a bit for my lack of ability to swing a bigger bat.

I have acess to all kinds of equipment as far as lifting weights goes, but what can I do that has low to no impact on my back that will improve my strength to swing a heavier bat eventually? Also, it would be nice to include things to do once my back is healed.

Thanks,
T

What you are describing are two different issues.

Without knowing your age, size, etc., I can't offer a good opinion on bat size. As far as hitting, I advise talking with a hitting instructor. Hitting off a tee would also be very helpful assuming you already know how to swing. A heavier bat could possibly mean just slower hit grounders, for example.

As far as exercises that are helpful for swinging a bat or throwing (they are very similar) I would focus mostly on core exercises. Planks, side planks, are very good exercises and are body-weight exercises. There are many exercises that can benefit you.

But just like hitting and throwing, you need instruction from someone knowledgeable. That is the MOST IMPORTANT thing you need to know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06