Head Moves Forward into Toe Touch...Important Cue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Working with group of 9 - 10 year olds.

As many attempt to move to toe touch some of the least developed have a tendency to basically just reach out their toe but camp 90% of their weight on their back leg.

I observed a cue I never noticed before. With girls who looked right (or better) their head moved forward a few inches in the move to toe touch. Those that have the most struggles and basically reverse pivot had no forward head movement into toe touch.

In one instance pregame standing to the side and facing a hitter I held my hand 2 inches forward of the batting helmet and had the girl make sure she moved that far into toe touch as we practiced the load phase. She previously had no forward head movement at this phase. This move to toe touch seemed to look much better. At that point we drop the heal and I would expect rotation and not a further linier move with the head.

Thoughts on this cue as I evaluate a swing? Is it something worth noticing?

P.S.: It may be a dillusional hypotosis but after watching my team lose 2 - 1 and be eliminated from a tourney when we threw a no hitter with just 3 walks you start to think CRAZY THOUGHTS!

Oct 25, 2009
This is just a guess without being able to see your batters. It sounds to me like their weight is either directly over the back foot or behind the back foot when loading. In other words the back knee is not inside the back foot. I like to call it the Bambi look because of the way the knees look when they are angled inside. Like a fawn learning to walk. I think Hitter calls it a pyramid.

When the back knee is inside the back foot there should be no need for head movement when striding to toe touch.

Also, make sure the feet are slightly pigeon-toed before striding. It is especially problematic if the rear foot is pointed even slightly toward the catcher. That is a very common fault; even with older players.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I like to call it the Bambi look

I picked that up from one of your earlier posts to help explain the knee position. I like it. I can definately feel the difference in weight distribution if the knee is in vs out.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
I picked that up from one of your earlier posts to help explain the knee position. I like it. I can definately feel the difference in weight distribution if the knee is in vs out.

When I teach at the house I have two mirrors that are 34 by 72 I think.

They stand belly button facing the mirror and I stand behind them.

I start them at least 1.5 the times the width of their shoulders. For example the shoulders are 16 inches wide and half of that is 8 inches so we start them at 24 inches plus or minus 2 inches.

I point out the shape between their legs is that of a pyramid and they see it!

Then I have them load their way and see if the knee of the back foot is over the foot? It usually is! Also point out where their head moved from being centered in the middle of their body to moving rearward.

Now repeat. Bend at the waist and soften the knees and turn your lead foot knee inward slightly to shift the weight inside the back leg. Have them see the back leg knee is inside the foot. I will use a bat to show the knee is or is not inside the foot from behind them.

Have them take off the lead foot shoe to emphasize the foot turns inward so the weight is off the baby toe area and is shifted to the inside of the back leg.

I will put a hand on their lead hip and say this is the front of the pyramid and the back hip is the back of the pyramid and we do not want (for now the back hip to sway).

Then I position myself at their lead shoulder and brace myself and hold their shoulder and ask them to load and shift their weight inside the back leg without moving their head. Then I ask them to lift up their lead foot so I can hold them up.

If I can feel no weight I point out they are leaning backwards and the knee is over the foot. We want to see the shape of the pyramid on the back leg.

Now repeat so finally they will feel me holding their weight as I am the front side of the pyramid.

The final test is they load and step and my hand is over their head as a reference to how far it actually moves when they load and step.

Of all the things we have tried this seems to visually work pretty well.

The test then comes when I put their left shoulder against the wall and their feet are directly under them so they are not leaning against the wall. I ask them to lift the right leg and they will not be able to do it! They can not shift their weight unless unless the shoulders can move or unless they have a wider base.

See it, feel it and fix it.....

Thanks Howard

I do not turn the toes inward or knock knee, as it puts too much stress on the knees per the advice of a certified trainer.

So I copied part of an article and if you go to the site you can see pictures of correct and incorrect knee positions.

I can not stress enough as a male coach we truly need to understand better how the female body functions as to jumping landing and cutting and teaching them how to slide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Incorrect Knee Positioning

Lower leg alignment problems may predispose the female athlete to anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears or other knee injuries. Typically the female demonstrates a wider pelvic angle and increased low-back curve. Both of these factors result in the femur, or upper leg bone, rotating inward and the knees assuming a "knock knee" position. This inward-rotated, "knock knee" position places stress on the ACL. Combine this position with the large forces generated during jumping, and you have a formula for disaster.
Some of these alignment problems can be corrected with appropriate strength and jump training. Strength training should target trunk and gluteal muscles. Jump training must emphasize knee over second-toe position.
Greater Ground-Reaction Forces

Research shows the typical male athlete lands with forces two and a half times his body weight after a maximum jump. This compares to the female athlete, who lands with forces up to five times her body weight. More Upright Jumping and Landing

Protect your knees

Girls Can Jump-ACL Injury Prevention,Female Knee Care,Scientific Jump training,Athletic Excellence -

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Hitter,

You have addressed some of the specific issues I am seeing and dealing with. I appreciate all of the cues and can see how they will benefit. FANTASTIC and thank you.

Apr 25, 2009
confused about left shoulder against wall

"The test then comes when I put their left shoulder against the wall and their feet are directly under them so they are not leaning against the wall. I ask them to lift the right leg and they will not be able to do it! They can not shift their weight unless unless the shoulders can move or unless they have a wider base.

Thanks Howard"

Hi Howard, great info as always. Are you against the wall in front with shoulder in front, sideways (touching inside), or behind (back of shoulder). Confused a bit on this. Thanks.

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
"The test then comes when I put their left shoulder against the wall and their feet are directly under them so they are not leaning against the wall. I ask them to lift the right leg and they will not be able to do it! They can not shift their weight unless unless the shoulders can move or unless they have a wider base.

Thanks Howard"

Hi Howard, great info as always. Are you against the wall in front with shoulder in front, sideways (touching inside), or behind (back of shoulder). Confused a bit on this. Thanks.

Think of a compass...your left shoulder is against the wall and that is West, and your face is facing North.

If your feet are directly under neath you, you will not be able to pick up your right foot as you can not shift your weight as the wall will prevent it.

When standing if front of the mirror they will see them self leaning backwards or possibly being over the back leg in my opinion and understand why the wall prevented it and then see how to do it correctly.

Thanks Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan