Grrrrrrr - Cancelled already!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
We got the rain Friday night. Friendly Sat. 10/5 was to use 3 diamonds, starting at 9am. Got reduced to 2 diamonds that were slightly greasy, other 2 unplayable. So we had to set 2 games in a row. We took lunch for first game, then HC had practice on the muddy field that wasn't being used... now that was training!!! If games cancel, have practice before the diamonds dry... then you'll see who really wants to play in the infield. :{))

Make sure to get something to get mud off cleats...any good suggestions on the best easy to carry mud remover???
Oh yea, don't forget too bring score book.

Let me preface this by saying, I believe softball to be a fairweather sport and abhor playing in less than preferable conditions.

I think playing in muddy situations is extemely dumb. I can speak from experience which includes three knee surgeries and replacement which directly resulted from an incident while practicing on a muddy field wearing metal spikes.

While children are much more resiliant, I don't believe it is worth the risk.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Let me preface this by saying, I believe softball to be a fairweather sport and abhor playing in less than preferable conditions.

I think playing in muddy situations is extemely dumb. I can speak from experience which includes three knee surgeries and replacement which directly resulted from an incident while practicing on a muddy field wearing metal spikes.

While children are much more resiliant, I don't believe it is worth the risk.

No doubt it is fair weather... have read how to get the game called post... but the ump makes that decision. Never the less, it has to be played at times in the worst conditions, until public safety official intervenes. I got what is called a mud runner (my DD) in the horse racing lingo, and plan on working on things like that... heavy cleats, wet balls, hair a mess from the wind, dirty uniforms ect. But I do hope you always have Smart & Sunny Games.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD played in S NJ this weekend. Rain all last week, a cloud burst on Saturday that left standing water on the fields and a light steady rain today that started at 9 and didn't stop till 2. I thought for sure they'd cancel by noon but no. Every time a ball was hit into the grass it was traded for a dry one and we got the full tourney in. The ground crew even stopped the semi final when water started pooling in the circle and the batters box to put some speedy dry down and get rid of the water. Cudos to the grounds crew volunteers.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
While I hate rainouts, we try to be sensitive to our parents and players. No one likes sitting around all weekend wondering if your game/tournament is rained out, so we try to give our team as much advance notice as possible so they can plan other activities (we do not take many weekends off during the season, so people like to make the most of their weekends when we do not play).

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Every time a ball was hit into the grass it was traded for a dry one and we got the full tourney in. The ground crew even stopped the semi final when water started pooling in the circle and the batters box to put some speedy dry down and get rid of the water. Cudos to the grounds crew volunteers.

That reminds me of a misperception that if the infield is given attention and is okay during inclimate weather, the field is okay.

Folks, I don't care what type of soles are on your shoes, just because it is green doesn't mean it is any less treacherous.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD said the outfield was bad with cleats. Now some kids wear them down to nubs and that might of been treacherous. I thought overall their fields were build well with crowns to drain away the water. A local person said they'd install a french drain type system around the fields to channel the ground water.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd