Good cold weather bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
The problem with this discussion has become the fact that even old beat up ebay bats have become ridiculously expensive.

I personally have begun to believe in swinging bats that are new enough to have a warranty- which probably means her regular game bat. I also personally want a seamless transition between the backup and the gamer. That can be hard to do unless you have two of the same model.

My thoughts:
1) There is a good chance it won't break. I find the dire, doom filled warnings over-baked if you keep it inside most of the time.
2) If you buy "cheap" bat and it breaks, you are out 100% of this money.
3) If you believe cold weather breaks bats, you will break the "cheap" bat just as surely as the new bat with a warranty, right?

If it breaks, then you go to "Plan B". What is your "Plan B"? Find another cheap bat? Call Core and buy a discounted new bat with a warranty while you work with the manufacturer to get the broken bat warranted? Go straight to Big Box Sports and pay full retail?

Any of these plans will work, some just hurt more than others.

Feb 18, 2014
The problem with this discussion has become the fact that even old beat up ebay bats have become ridiculously expensive.

I personally have begun to believe in swinging bats that are new enough to have a warranty- which probably means her regular game bat. I also personally want a seamless transition between the backup and the gamer. That can be hard to do unless you have two of the same model.

My thoughts:
1) There is a good chance it won't break. I find the dire, doom filled warnings over-baked if you keep it inside most of the time.
2) If you buy "cheap" bat and it breaks, you are out 100% of this money.
3) If you believe cold weather breaks bats, you will break the "cheap" bat just as surely as the new bat with a warranty, right?

If it breaks, then you go to "Plan B". What is your "Plan B"? Find another cheap bat? Call Core and buy a discounted new bat with a warranty while you work with the manufacturer to get the broken bat warranted? Go straight to Big Box Sports and pay full retail?

Any of these plans will work, some just hurt more than others.
Because it doesn't break does not mean that you aren't causing damage and shortening the life. I've seen bat pop disappear in cold weather, the distance you see every warm day seem to disappear.
We buy a cheap bat under warranty. It is not tough to find a "new" old bat at a cheap price and have it dedicated to cold weather, and then you get an upgrade to a newer model if it breaks. DD loved her 100$ combat maxium and I think we received a ghostfor a warranty trade in. Her PXT was upgraded to an RXT. Any of her nice bats stay in the bag when it gets too cold.

Apr 28, 2019
Because it doesn't break does not mean that you aren't causing damage and shortening the life. I've seen bat pop disappear in cold weather, the distance you see every warm day seem to disappear.
We buy a cheap bat under warranty. It is not tough to find a "new" old bat at a cheap price and have it dedicated to cold weather, and then you get an upgrade to a newer model if it breaks. DD loved her 100$ combat maxium and I think we received a ghostfor a warranty trade in. Her PXT was upgraded to an RXT. Any of her nice bats stay in the bag when it gets too cold.

Yup, We use Rocketech, PXT, Quatro, & broken Ghost for cold weather BP.

For early games this Spring we have 2017 Xeno & LXT that have become expendable with the addition of new bats.

Really hate to use the 17 Sluggers because there is nothing wrong with them and they are great bats. But the DS Ghost, Ghost Advanced, & 19 Xeno & LXT are staying in their respective bags until the mercury reads at least 60’.

Feb 18, 2014
Yup, We use Rocketech, PXT, Quatro, & broken Ghost for cold weather BP.

For early games this Spring we have 2017 Xeno & LXT that have become expendable with the addition of new bats.

Really hate to use the 17 Sluggers because there is nothing wrong with them and they are great bats. But the DS Ghost, Ghost Advanced, & 19 Xeno & LXT are staying in their respective bags until the mercury reads at least 60’.
You lost me at Ghost, everything else makes sense. Ghost should rebrand as "bu$t-o-matic"(patent pending).

The 2019 LXT was send to the Ghost for breakage.

Apr 28, 2019
You lost me at Ghost, everything else makes sense. Ghost should rebrand as "bu$t-o-matic"(patent pending).

The 2019 LXT was send to the Ghost for breakage.

I have one daughter that insists on using Ghosts. She does just as well with the Sluggers but likes those heavy Ghost bats.

She used the Advanced in a tournament last weekend. When the coach texts me and says how awesome she is hitting it’s hard to argue with that.

Do I think the Ghosts will break? Yes I do. I hope to get a year out of them. If they do break we have our trusty Sluggers to step in and get things done.

My other daughter is a Slugger fan and won’t touch the Ghost bats.

Every Easton bat that we used regularly has broken. Never had a high end Slugger break.

The Ghosts are great performing bats for girls that are strong enough to swing them. The question is when and how often will they break. If I could only buy one bat it would be a Slugger LXT.

Jun 8, 2016
I've seen bat pop disappear in cold weather, the distance you see every warm day seem to disappear.
Warm air is less dense than cold air hence the ball will travel further in warm air. Also my guess is that trampoline effect is probably affected by both bat and ball temperatures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06