Getting a little frustrated......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

So, been training my kids for a few weeks now. It's my second year at this club and I have taken on a head coaching role this year. I'm excited, haven't coached much in the last few years. Anyway, had a practice session tonight. Had it all planned out, activities specific to what the kids have been struggling with. Set up my drill, explain it to the team, then my assistant coach (who was the head coach of this team last year) completely takes over. and changes the drill. I ended up letting him go with it and took some kids for batting Got me really frustrated, especially because he suggested for me to have the coaching role, because he couldn't commit because of work, and now he won't let me coach my own way. Maybe it's because he's been coaching for 20-odd years, I'm only 18 now. Maybe he didn't really want to give up the job. But it's just REALLY frustrating not to be able to coach my own team properly.....

Haha there's my rant for today :)

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Have a talk to him and explain that you are the head coach now ....and you would really appreciate it if he would consult with you before changing your plans. Tell him it is important for you...to get the players respect... as the new head coach. Us ummm "more experienced people" that are take control people...sometimes step across boundaries when not meaning to but realize what we did when its pointed out.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You are occasionally going to have someone that wants to take over; some people are just that way. Usually it has more to do with their personality then their actual knowledge but could be both.

Make sure you communicate to the coaches before practice what you are trying to accomplish and how, either Email or verbally. Communicate after practice with them to get their feedback on how things went and listen if they have some ideas on how to improve the drills.

If he starts rebuilding your drill, remind them that you discussed it before practice and you would prefer to continue with the plan. After practice you can discuss it to improve it next time.

If they know you will communicate and listen to them maybe they will back off during practice a little bit. If not you will need to become a little more forceful.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You are 18, and I guess they guy is 50 YOA or so, right?

First, you have to recognize that the problem is *YOURS*, not the assistant coach's. You and he aren't on the same page about the drills. So, you need to come up with a way to get on the same page.

You are being treated like an adult, so you have to act like one. This isn't a dictatorship. You have to convince him to do things your way, because, if you don't he'll stop helping you. And, while I'm sure your very knowledgeable, he knows more than you do about coaching. You need his help.

You and he have to talk about the drills that are going to be done *BEFORE* practice. Determine what you are trying to accomplish, and who is going to to do what. You should have the final say, but you have to listen to what he wants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet