Getting a 'B' team going

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I just feel each player needs to know how to play at least 2, although more is better, positions and play them well . If you accomplish that, then each position on the field will have at least a few players you can play there and feel confident you can win the game. That is developed in practice but they’ll have to be given multiple opportunities to show what they can do in games. If that means a few rough games, it may take that, but it will pay off in the long run. If you lose a few games as a 2nd year 10U team because you’re attempting to develop players, the world won’t end. Pick your battles on which games you really want to win and throw everything you have at it to accomplish that objective. But also pick games where you are experimenting with player development.

If you get a phone call from Susie’s parent telling you she broke her wrist skate boarding and she’s out 12 weeks – then what?

If you get a phone call from Susie’s parent telling you to play her in position “X” or she is leaving – do you play her at position X or send them packing?

If Susie misses because of a school band trip, confirmation, etc…etc…..etc…..

Oh, and I should add, if your players can field well, catch well and throw well, all of the above becomes much easier. I realize that is obvious, but practicing the basics over and over and over will pay good dividends.

The one advantage 'that parent' would have is knowing that we don't have tremendous depth in our league, but the advantage I'll have as a coach is my long-held belief that no one is irreplaceable. One of the major considerations during the selection phase will be what I've observed from the parents. There are a couple of players who might be good enough to take a look at, but I know already that I don't want their parents anywhere near what we're trying to build. As much drama as they have caused in 8u this season where wins and losses don't even count, there's no way they'd be a good fit for a new team.

I definitely intend to stress fundamentals from day one. Even though our spring team was totally dedicated to ground ball drills most of the season, we got away from that a bit in the latter part of spring and had a few errors. Maybe they would've happened anyway, but I know we didn't practice them enough. A good lesson for me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand