Getting a 'B' team going

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Before you do anything you need to define this team. Is it a travel team? Is it part-time travel? Are you a rec all-star team? What exactly are you planning to do with the team? How many games do you think they should play during the fall spring and summer? Will you be working indoors all winter long? At what level are your pitchers realistically at? Are you going to have tryouts? You mentioned first come, first served. What are you going to do if better kids show up than the core 8 you have commitments from right now?

Before you do anything define your team, put a plan together with direction you're taking the team and stick to it. If you plan on winging it as it comes you'll be in BIG trouble. You're a ship with no course set. Nothing but frustration will come of it for you and the families you have involved with the team.

Your estimate seems way low. From the little info you've given here I would say you would be in the $300-350 range to do things mostly correctly for the girls. If you do it half-a$$ed that's the result you'll get.

Thanks to the efforts of one highly motivated coach, our league has just started its first 'B' team for 12u. Not much has been said about it, because the team was selected based on observations (the coach knows all the 12u players). They're all all-stars, but not every all-star is on the select team. They're mainly 1999s with a few 2000s. They hit the ground running with fundraising in order to keep fees down, and they found a disbanded team that had great new jerseys available for cheap, so they're going to be right at about $150 per player for the entire summer and fall seasons. That's 6 or 7 tournaments in addition to the fall 'rec' (B level) league.

The coach definitely has a firm plan on how they're working everything and he told all the players and parents from the start that they were looking at a 2-year commitment. He's laid out a few of the how-to-get-started basics for me, but there's no way to really gauge the program's success until they're played a season and then these girls return to the rec league in the spring.

We won't be able to mirror everything they're doing, but do want to follow a portion of their blueprint for 10u. For year 1, we'll have to open it up to 2001s, because no one else is willing to start a 2001 team and they'd be left out and also because the 2002 group isn't very deep, so to field a competitive team, we'll need a few older players.

We're a year away from our first practice, and I'm cautiously optimistic about how solid our pitching will be. Our most accurate 2001 pitcher doesn't throw hard at all, and our 2nd-most accurate 2001 will need some speed work as well, but would be the presumptive #1 at this point. My DD is a 2002, and although she throws the hardest, I would have her as the #2 at this point. Anything could happen in a year, but none of this year's 8u pitchers were generating any ballpark buzz, so I will host some off-season clinics.

I have only seen 1 other 2002 that I know will make the team, but will get a better look once all the others come up to 10u next spring. I saw a couple of great hitters in last weekend's Hit/Run/Throw and Home Run Derby, but don't know about the rest of their game.

Our goal will be to go out and have a fun, but competitive experience in year 1 and then we'll be looking to be more serious and even more competitive in year 2. If things work out as hoped, I have a sincere belief more players will continue on in rec for a year or 2 of 12u rather than going to full-time ASA play.

My plan is to identify 18-20 players at the league's pre-season tryout and then to check out a few of their games AND practices. I'll then speak to the parents of those selected and work my way down the list until we have 11, including 3 pitchers. Even though practice cannot officially begin until May 1st, there's no prohibition on selecting the team well before then. We'll have 1 slot open in the event someone emerges as a stud late in the season or moves to our area, etc.

All-in-all, while giving a more competitive experience to our better girls, the primary goal in all of this is to hopefully strengthen our entire league moving forward. By comparison, the population of the next town over is only 25% greater than ours, yet their softball league has over 100% more players than we do. We're at the tipping point now, and I'm banking on 2012 to be a real breakout season for our community.

Jan 31, 2011
I'm not sure what part of the country you live, but four years ago my wife and I started a TB team from scratch. We decided we would only take 9 YOs and one 8YO to start a first year 10U team. We wanted to have 2 full years with the girls at the 10U level. We had try-outs in Aug and started Fall ball in September. We jumped right into ASA tourneys and it was rough. We set our goals low the first year and practiced as often as we could. Not one girl had ASA experience that first year. We looked for beginner tourneys and played other first year teams and had a lot of fun. We got our butts handed to us and ended up getting run ruled most of the time against older teams. However, we kept at it. We practiced twice a week over the fall & winter and the girls were great. They learned a lot & I attended a bunch of coaching clinics. You have to practice, practice, practice. There is no off season, seriously.

Since then we have been pretty successful at our state level of ASA TB. However, my most memorable game was the one that ended our final tourney that first year. We lost 10-1 at Iowa Games in the championship game. We got killed! The only run we mustered was on a pass ball. Our tiny little catcher, who was pulled from the game for heat exhaustion an inning prior, walked her next at bat & ended up on third base. She then saw the ball hit the dirt & get behind the catcher and she stole home. To this day, that kid gives it all every play. When she slid at the plate I looked at her folks and held my hands up...I didn't send her, she went on her own. We got a silver medal that day! Not our first "hardware" of the year, but the best. The following 2 years at Iowa Games we brought home the Gold in our division, but neither one was as precious to me as that first Silver medal. To this day, when I need luck, I grab the ball cap I wore that game & head out the door.

I guess what I am trying to say is select your team and get at it. They need the practice and the sooner you start the "race" the farther ahead of other teams you bill be. Good luck!

Nov 29, 2009
A couple of things you need to take note of. In about 7-8 weeks in the softball world it will be 2012. You have somewhat of an idea of what you want to do. The May 1st practice date is unrealistic when it comes to any level of travel ball, select, or whatever level you want to play your girls at. What you need to do is to have a team mostly in place by the end of August. Work with these kids regularly during the fall and winter. Make sure they are ready for the start of the travel season in April. Look for some friendlies early. Let the kids get a taste of the speed difference in the game. You should be able to find some "B" level tournaments. Usually during July you'll see some all-star type tournaments advertised.

Pitching is the key. You want to have three on the team which should do well for what you have in mind. They should be taking regular lessons from a pitching instructor. If you try to teach them from the forum here you'll have a real hard time doing it and the kids will suffer. You'll get some great advice here, but there's nothing like the personal interaction with a pitching coach.

What you'll find is the kids will like playing better teams, win or lose. If they are serious at all about playing they will want to compete and be pushed. They won't find the rec games a challenge any more.

Feb 3, 2011
I'm not sure what part of the country you live, but four years ago my wife and I started a TB team from scratch. We decided we would only take 9 YOs and one 8YO to start a first year 10U team. We wanted to have 2 full years with the girls at the 10U level. We had try-outs in Aug and started Fall ball in September. We jumped right into ASA tourneys and it was rough. We set our goals low the first year and practiced as often as we could. Not one girl had ASA experience that first year. We looked for beginner tourneys and played other first year teams and had a lot of fun. We got our butts handed to us and ended up getting run ruled most of the time against older teams. However, we kept at it. We practiced twice a week over the fall & winter and the girls were great. They learned a lot & I attended a bunch of coaching clinics. You have to practice, practice, practice. There is no off season, seriously.

Since then we have been pretty successful at our state level of ASA TB. However, my most memorable game was the one that ended our final tourney that first year. We lost 10-1 at Iowa Games in the championship game. We got killed! The only run we mustered was on a pass ball. Our tiny little catcher, who was pulled from the game for heat exhaustion an inning prior, walked her next at bat & ended up on third base. She then saw the ball hit the dirt & get behind the catcher and she stole home. To this day, that kid gives it all every play. When she slid at the plate I looked at her folks and held my hands up...I didn't send her, she went on her own. We got a silver medal that day! Not our first "hardware" of the year, but the best. The following 2 years at Iowa Games we brought home the Gold in our division, but neither one was as precious to me as that first Silver medal. To this day, when I need luck, I grab the ball cap I wore that game & head out the door.

I guess what I am trying to say is select your team and get at it. They need the practice and the sooner you start the "race" the farther ahead of other teams you bill be. Good luck!

Cool story! Thanks for the well wishes and good info.

We're in Sacramento, a part of the country that has pretty strong softball overall and our little town is slowly coming up. Many of the local ASA teams are good, but rec leagues like ours tend to lose all the best players to full-time ASA pretty early, by age 10. If we could get just a few more of them to stay an additional year or 2, it would greatly benefit our league, but to get them to stay, we've got to be able to show their parents that they will get the opportunity to play a more competitive brand of softball.

Jan 31, 2011
Cool story! Thanks for the well wishes and good info.

We're in Sacramento, a part of the country that has pretty strong softball overall and our little town is slowly coming up. Many of the local ASA teams are good, but rec leagues like ours tend to lose all the best players to full-time ASA pretty early, by age 10. If we could get just a few more of them to stay an additional year or 2, it would greatly benefit our league, but to get them to stay, we've got to be able to show their parents that they will get the opportunity to play a more competitive brand of softball.

Good luck to you. I hope you can convince a few players to stay and get the team going. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Feb 3, 2011
A couple of things you need to take note of. In about 7-8 weeks in the softball world it will be 2012. You have somewhat of an idea of what you want to do. The May 1st practice date is unrealistic when it comes to any level of travel ball, select, or whatever level you want to play your girls at. What you need to do is to have a team mostly in place by the end of August. Work with these kids regularly during the fall and winter. Make sure they are ready for the start of the travel season in April. Look for some friendlies early. Let the kids get a taste of the speed difference in the game. You should be able to find some "B" level tournaments. Usually during July you'll see some all-star type tournaments advertised.

Pitching is the key. You want to have three on the team which should do well for what you have in mind. They should be taking regular lessons from a pitching instructor. If you try to teach them from the forum here you'll have a real hard time doing it and the kids will suffer. You'll get some great advice here, but there's nothing like the personal interaction with a pitching coach.

What you'll find is the kids will like playing better teams, win or lose. If they are serious at all about playing they will want to compete and be pushed. They won't find the rec games a challenge any more.

You're right about how fast the time flies. I wish I could assemble at least a core by the end of summer, but it's unlikely to happen as I don't know who the standout 2002 players are. I wasn't scouting early enough and we don't do 8u all-stars. One of DD's old teammates had a pretty good bat, and she's joining my fall team, but other than her and a couple of others I got to see hit last weekend, I have no idea where to look. I'll see what the other young fall teams look like, and I'll put the word out for players interested in off-season workouts this winter, but realistically, I don't think I'll be able to begin the selection process until February evaluations.

There are three 2001s I plan to invite and I think 2 of them would be likely to join, and I've got my DD and another 2002 committed, so that leaves 7 slots open for 2002s.

League-wide, the pitching is pretty weak. I did have decent turnout for the clinics I ran in spring, but we had 2 different instructors, and were unable to do a set day and time each week. We don't have any standout 2001s and DD, while good, is still very much a work in progress. I'm hoping that 1 of the 2001s will emerge as a real stud, but she's going to need more velocity to be competitive outside our rec league. Two other 2001s - 1 who just started pitching this year - and my DD have the speed, but all will need more control to be reliable threats game in, game out away from home.

The other important thing that has to be figured out is which other 2002 parent would be willing to coach with me. The coach who's teaming up with me for fall is very knowledgeable, but her DD doesn't really like softball, so a select team would not be for her. The 12u coaches who are launching the first team of this kind here have been coaching together for a few years now, another built-in advantage when starting a new program. I've got issues! lol

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Whatever you do, especially in the younger levels, I’d really try and not pigeon hole kids to certain positions. It can create a lot of problems and it happens often. You’ll have problems with the skill development (and understanding of the game) of the players and the expectations of the players/parents.

If Susie and her parents think she’s only a 3rd baseman and that is “her” position, you’ll eventually have problems. Is Susie is the only kid that knows how to play 3rd, you’ll eventually have problems. If you have players/parents that think “my kid isn’t an outfielder” yet they have to talent to play there, you’ll eventually have problems.

With the change in pitching distance to 43’, outfield is more important than ever. If an infielder makes an error, many times, it’s a 1 base error. If outfielder takes something as simple as a wrong step, it can be a 4 base error.

Set those expectations with the players/parents from day one. The deeper you are at each position the easier it is to manage that team.

Feb 3, 2011
That's an interesting viewpoint about multiple positions. For the fall rec team, the girls will play a variety of positions, but for the select team, I'm going into it thinking that each player will have 1 or 2 positions, but that every position is open for competition. I mixed things up very well for my spring team and want things handled similarly in fall. Once we go select, though, I'll be clear about everything with the parents before they even sign their kid up to play. I may have presumptive starting pitchers and lead-off hitters in mind, but no one is coming into the program with a guaranteed starting job, not even my own DD. I get what you're saying, but once we get to year 2, winning games is going to be a priority and the players will have to compete to earn their spots on the field, regardless of what the parents think.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I just feel each player needs to know how to play at least 2, although more is better, positions and play them well . If you accomplish that, then each position on the field will have at least a few players you can play there and feel confident you can win the game. That is developed in practice but they’ll have to be given multiple opportunities to show what they can do in games. If that means a few rough games, it may take that, but it will pay off in the long run. If you lose a few games as a 2nd year 10U team because you’re attempting to develop players, the world won’t end. Pick your battles on which games you really want to win and throw everything you have at it to accomplish that objective. But also pick games where you are experimenting with player development.

If you get a phone call from Susie’s parent telling you she broke her wrist skate boarding and she’s out 12 weeks – then what?

If you get a phone call from Susie’s parent telling you to play her in position “X” or she is leaving – do you play her at position X or send them packing?

If Susie misses because of a school band trip, confirmation, etc…etc…..etc…..

Oh, and I should add, if your players can field well, catch well and throw well, all of the above becomes much easier. I realize that is obvious, but practicing the basics over and over and over will pay good dividends.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
I think it's great that you're going into this with the right kind of attitude. Travel Ball has given me, DD, and the kids and parents on our team an opportunity to have great experiences and develop friendships with an amazing group of people. I had coached for more than 10 years before my current TB team formed, but had never seen the whole picture until recently.

In the summer of 2008, a friend and I were talking about how frustrated we were with our local LL and Rec options. Both of us had tried to stir local interest in forming TB teams in our towns, with no luck. We put the word out locally and came up with a group of 14 12 year olds and entered a fall ball league. At the time, 1 pitcher--the only kid on the team with any TB experience (1 summer). First fall season, it was a carnival, complete with regular merry-go-round rides for the opposition as we threw it all over the place. Kept the group together for summer #1 at 14B. We went 2-35. After that season, we had two girls move on looking for greener pastures, but the other 11 stuck with us. Rough fall ball followed by 26-24 summer at 14B again. Played fall ball for the THIRD year--won most of our games as our other three pitchers came into their own and things really started to click. During school ball this year, 10 or our 11 players were freshmen, and all made varsity rosters at their schools. When schedules allowed, anyone not playing or practicing with their school team could be counted on to show up and cheer at one of the other school games. Now that school ball is over, we're together again, headed into our third summer campaign. We've moved up to 16B for this year, with a plan to take a shot at 16A next summer. This is not the greatest group of athletes I've ever seen, but as they've grown together, they've developed an unbelievable bond. The parents are awesome, and the girls feed off of one another, pushing on one another to get better. They spend their time comparing bruises and laughing at and with one another all weekend. So many TB teams take on that "mercenary" feel, and there is always "daddy ball" or "diva" or "crazy parent" drama of some kind. We've made relationships and cooperation the foundation of our experience, and the results so far have been amazing. I feel so fortunate to have found this group, and I know DD, her teammates and their parents feel the same.

Three years later, most of the girls that our TB girls play with in HS are asking how they can get onto our team. They see how much the girls have improved as players and how much fun they have and want to be part of it. Will our girls play in college? Some of them likely will. Most won't. Hopefully, they'll grow up to have kids of their own and find ways for them to have softball or other sport experiences that are as special and joyful as this one has been for them. When that happens, I will be sure that our TB team was successful.

Sorry for the novel length post, but I often see TB represented on this forum as nothing more than a training ground for college ball wanna-be's. When it comes down to it, we all "do" softball because we love the game, and our kids, and our families, and it's a wonderful, healthy thing to share together. Put that team together. Work the girls hard. Expect great things from them. Most important, though, make it something that they'll treasure as the best part of their growing up.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs