Getting 12 U player out of mental slump

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2014
Just wondering if you guys have any advice on how to get a player out of a mental slump.

My daughter has been hitting the ball very well the last past year.

Basically it started with some hitting lessons last week

Her batting stance needs to be fixed as she tends to set up with her hands too far back (ie she tends to turn her right shoulder in too much).
I agree with the hitting coach that she can improve her swing.

She is a right hand batter BTW.

So last week the hitting coach attempted to fix it

So she is trying to make these corrections and it is all in her head now as she as she has not done too well the last few games and have not gotten a hit. She still getting a lot of walks, so as least she is seeing the ball well.

She was smoking the ball for the last year with occasional power, but I wanted to see her hit with more power. She has a high OBP of around .700.

Do I mess things up as a Dad?

Any suggestions to get out of this slump?

Also Are hitting lessons bad during the season?

Oct 7, 2014
Yeah, that is obviously what I am thinking now.
Was overzealous as she was one of the better avg hitters around .700 but I wanted to move up to tourney A ball and get more power.

She is playing B ball right now.

Any suggestion on breaking a mental slump

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Any suggestion on breaking a mental slump

By the recommendation of a friend of mine, I recently purchased an audio download by Steve Springer called "Quality at Bats". DD and I listened to it together. Among other things, he talks about setting "attainable goals". Rather than focusing on statistics such as batting average, he suggests that the hitters focus more on hitting the ball hard. Then the other things will fall in place. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Oct 7, 2014
Everyone thanks for all the information.
Yes I think I may be getting too technical.
The problem probably is me...I am too fanatic and I stop playing tournament ball a few years ago to try to help my daughter out.
But the truth is that I am not a fastpitch player

Anymore more advice would be more than welcome

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I agree with OILF (for the most part but there is almost always a little dig), ditch all the instruction for a little while and just go back to hitting the dang ball.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
See the ball, hit the ball.

I hate it when people say that, but sometimes you just have to get your head out of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1